Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silas1066

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
My Safari got stuck on a bad website (crashes the browser, etc.)

How do I clear the history and cache WITHOUT opening Safari (because I can't right now)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Go to Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Cache / com.apple.Safari / and delete that folder (com.apple.Safari).

how to access the hidden Library folder:

2012_03_120_pA1_GoToLibraryFolder.png

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.Safari.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / too?

Silas1066

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
hmmm ...

I did a

cd ~/Library/Preferences

and did a

sudo rm com.apple.Safari.plist

it seemed like it deleted it, but when I went back into Safari, the history and cache were still there

Nov 28, 2010
located
hmmm ...

I did a

cd ~/Library/Preferences

and did a

it seemed like it deleted it, but when I went back into Safari, the history and cache were still there

What about the cache?

----------

But... but... Aren't Macs supposed to be easy? It also of course helps to prevent typos. Like someone forgetting the tilde.

Supposed to yes, and most often are of course. But every now and then a little tilde is a nice diversion. Still better than Command Prompt.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
hmmm ...

I did a

cd ~/Library/Preferences

and did a

The first reply said what path to follow to find the cache. However, if removing the preferences let you start Safari without an issue, you can use the Empty Cache and Clear History menu options.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The first reply said what path to follow to find the cache. However, if removing the preferences let you start Safari without an issue, you can use the Empty Cache and Clear History menu options.

Yeah, I agree, though my mind was somewhere else when I replied 49 minutes ago.

Mac_Man_No_Pro

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
My Safari got stuck on a bad website (crashes the browser, etc.)

How do I clear the history and cache WITHOUT opening Safari (because I can't right now)

Open Safari and as soon as you open it hold command and press w repeatedly until all the windows are gone then click the safari bar and reset safari. it worked for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.