Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronoafc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

My MBPro is running 10.14.4 with a 250gb SSD inside. I want to however clear up some space as I have about 110gb available (which is fine but I think I can clear some down).

Now I ran Disk inventory X on the drive and it looks like just under 50gb is taken by pictures.

It is also done via 2 files. a 'Photos' file which is 38gb and an 'iPhoto Library' which is 10gb.

Now I pay the 79p or so for 50gb iCloud storage anyway...Can I delete either of these files from my mac to free up some space?

I have attached a screenshot showing disk inventory X.

Any advice appreciated. (Would deleting the file completely from my mac delete all pics I have stored in iCloud as if so...It seems kind of pointless of iCloud if I don't want a physical LOCAL copy to take up space on my MacBook pro).

I have attached a screenshot web link to show you what I mean.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot link - https://ibb.co/8865t58

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 18.19.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 18.19.23.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 167

aaronoafc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
https://sixcolors.com/post/2015/02/the-hard-link-between-photos-and-iphoto/

I'm assuming here this is an old iPhoto library and it was converted to the newer Photos library that you are now using?

If this is the case, deleting the old iPhoto library is not going to free up and space. Read the article I linked for an explanation why this is the case.

Thanks - I did read on another website that the smaller 9gb file could be deleted but won't have an effect on the HD Space due to how it was converted.
However why is such a large photo file needed? If i deleted this file...would it then delete all of the pics from my iCloud? Shouldn't they all be stored there anyway rather than a local copy on my mac? Thanks

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Thanks - I did read on another website that the smaller 9gb file could be deleted but won't have an effect on the HD Space due to how it was converted.
However why is such a large photo file needed? If i deleted this file...would it then delete all of the pics from my iCloud? Shouldn't they all be stored there anyway rather than a local copy on my mac? Thanks
"However why is such a large photo file needed"
Note - that is not a file, that is folder looking as file. OSX/macOS does that all the time - applications are also folders, not files.

To see inside, right click and select "Show package content". You will find your photos and other stuff there. Do not modify...

To save space you need to delete some photos (it takes 30 days to purge them...) or in Photos preferences, in iCloud select "optimize Mac storage". That will save originals (high res, large) in iCloud and only reduced resolution (smaller) on the mac.

Personally, I prefer to have my photos originals locally and therefore in backups. iCloud is NOT backup, it is way too easy to delete or else compromise stuff there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.