Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Anyone know the command for using two CPU's in command line, like running two instances...? There was something special you had to do, but I forget, if anyone knows I'd be grateful, thanks!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
First you need to get a copy of the terminal SETI client.
Now make a folder in you home directory called for example "SETI", then in that make 2 further folders, one called "CPU1" and another called "CPU2".
Now copy the "setiathome" file into "CPU1" and make a duplicate in "CPU2".
So now you should have a folder in your home directory called "SETI", in that should be 2 folders. one called "CPU1" and "CPU2", each with a copy of the "setiathome" file inside.
Now start off a terminal session and change directory into the "CPU1" folder:

Example:
cd seti/cpu1

then type:
./setiathome -verbose

Now open another terminal session and do the same again but instead of changing into the "CPU1" directory, change into "CPU2".
And that should be it, your mac will be working over time working on all those units! :D

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Very cool, thank you! But do you think I could do this in console mode (i.e. login as '>console') I'm somewhat familiar with UNIX, (I can type ls and cd!) but do you think if I did what you said and then typed something to the effect of "./CPU1|CPU2" it would run both? Thanks!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think you need to do something like:

cd cpu1 / ./setiathome & (This will start the first client. Then press enter which should get you back to the console)
cd cp2 / ./setiathome & (Press enter again)

type top to make sure that both seti clients are runnings. The key is the "&" to get both clients running.

NB. Running without the GUI should take an hour or so off your times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.