Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I was reading the news this morning and found an inspirartional video on The Guardian.

Since I wanted to keep a copy for my personal collection, I searched around and read a bit about ClipGrab.

Since I am security minded, I'm not sure if using such an application is advisable.

Apparently it is open-source, and from the little research idid, it sounds like it is safe as long as you get it from clipgrab.org.

Thoughts?

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Yes, ClipGrab is relatively save if you get it from Clipgrab.de or .org.

I use it daily and have not had a problem with adware or similar malware yet, if that is your concern. Don't forget to keep it updated (it will remind you of an update), as YT and others fiddle with their code to prevent downloading.

But I don't know, if ClipGrab can grab a video from The Guardian, that might be a case for Firefox and VideoDownloadHelper.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Yes, ClipGrab is relatively save if you get it from Clipgrab.de or .org.

I use it daily and have not had a problem with adware or similar malware yet, if that is your concern. Don't forget to keep it updated (it will remind you of an update), as YT and others fiddle with their code to prevent downloading.

Can anyone else comment on this?

But I don't know, if ClipGrab can grab a video from The Guardian, that might be a case for Firefox and VideoDownloadHelper.

I just downloaded a video called: "You Clap for Me Now".

On my HDD, I see "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4"

But when I double-click on it, I get a pop-up that says...

You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4 can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installations of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.

Um, I am NOT trying to install anything!!

This is making me nervous... :(

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If I recall correctly, the first time you open any of these open source type or third party programs like clipgrab, you get that warning. Its not the video you downloaded, the program didn't finish installing. Since its not Apple vetted, you personally have to verify the program.

I've used clipgrab for awhile, its safe and harmless.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Right-click on that downloaded video, then choose Open from the drop-down menu. That will temporarily bypass the security settings, and allow the video to open. (That bypass should only be used for files that you know where that file came from, and you accept that the developer was not an Apple-identified developer for that downloaded file (usually not a big issue for the user.) It's a one-time bypass, so you can accept the file. The video will run without issue after that first verification.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Right-click on that downloaded video, then choose Open from the drop-down menu. That will temporarily bypass the security settings, and allow the video to open. (That bypass should only be used for files that you know where that file came from, and you accept that the developer was not an Apple-identified developer for that downloaded file (usually not a big issue for the user.) It's a one-time bypass, so you can accept the file. The video will run without issue after that first verification.

When I right-click on the video I get a dropdown menu with choices like: Open, Open With, Move To Trash, etc

If I choose "Open", then I get a pop-up stating...

"You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it?

Opening "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" will always allow it to run on this Mac.

When I click "Open" again, I get yet another pop-up menu stating...

You are overriding your security preferences to install an app from an unidentified develoepr.

Enter administrator's name and password to allow this...

That last part is something I haven't seen before and what is making me nervous.

It almost makes it sound like the video I downloaded with ClipGrab is a .dmg or something?!

Is the label just misleading, or am I truly installing something?

(Obviously I am *very* careful before I enter my admin credentials!!)

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
I am confused, why you get those messages, as QT Player will play back MP4 files without asking you for credentials.

Am I right, that you visited this page: https://www.theguardian.com/global/...em-on-racism-and-immigration-in-britain-video
That page has a YouTube video embedded, clicking on the YouTube writing on the bottom right of the video frame gets you here:
After that that, ClipGrab has no problem downloading that link and my Mac opens the .mp4 file (named "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4") without hiccups.

When copying the YouTube URL into ClipGrab, does it look like this?

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 22.32.32.png

Don't mind the already downloading part.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I am confused, why you get those messages, as QT Player will play back MP4 files without asking you for credentials.

That is why I am asking, because I haven't seen this before!

Correct.

After that that, ClipGrab has no problem downloading that link and my Mac opens the .mp4 file (named "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4") without hiccups.

When copying the YouTube URL into ClipGrab, does it look like this?

View attachment 908647

Yes, as I recall, that is what it looked like.

And so it appears that I successfully downloaded the video and it is saved as: "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4"

But the problem is occuring when I double-click on that file to open (and view) it.

When I double-click on it, I get a pop-up that says...
"You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from teh App Store and identified developers.

<< OK >>

When I click << OK >>, it disappears.

Next, I took Delta Mac's advice, and I right-clicked on the mp4 file, and I chose "Open"...

When I do that I see a slightly different pop-up that says...
"You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it?

Opening "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" will always allow it to run on this Mac.

<< Open >> << Cancel >>

If I choose << Open >>, then I get yet another pop-up that says...
You are overriding your security preferences to install an app from an unidentified developer.

Enter an administrator's name and password to allow this.

Username: _______
Password: _______

<< Cancel >> << Modify Settings >>

This last pop-up asking me for my Admin credentials is what is making me nervous!

So what does all of this mean?? ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you get that pop-up asking you to authenticate, it is simply offering to open something that is from an unidentified developer (or something about the document source triggers that popup, which you can clear by authenticating).
If you trust the source (or don't care), authenticate.
If you don't trust the source, then don't authenticate.
Your system won't let you past that point without authenticating, because of the security levels that you have set.
The popup is asking for both a username and a password, probably because you are logged in to a standard (not an admin) user account on your Mac. Would that be correct?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
If you get that pop-up asking you to authenticate, it is simply offering to open something that is from an unidentified developer (or something about the document source triggers that popup, which you can clear by authenticating).

So that does not mean that I am installing any software, correct?

It is just complaining because I am trying to open a file from an unidentified developer, right?

If you trust the source (or don't care), authenticate.
If you don't trust the source, then don't authenticate.

Would you trust ClipGrab?

(It sounds like a legitimate risk to use since it is open-source, seems to be commonly used, and I downloaded it from clipgrab.org.)

Your system won't let you past that point without authenticating, because of the security levels that you have set.
The popup is asking for both a username and a password, probably because you are logged in to a standard (not an admin) user account on your Mac. Would that be correct?

Correct. I have one standard user account and one admin account, and I always use my standard account, unless I am changing OS preferences, do an OS update, or cloning my Mac.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I didn't realize that you got that security popup when you first launch ClipGrab, but I though you said that you get the popup window when you try to open the youtube video?
If you already launched ClipGrab (without seeing the security message), but did get the message when trying to view the downloaded video -- isn't your video what triggered the popup?
If you are using ClipGrab to view the video, and THAT'S when you see the message -- what is the source of your uncertainty? ClipGrab? or the video?

( I was ready to yell at you a bit for maybe being too suspicious about basically-simple stuff -- but, then I found this: https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-clipgrab-virus.html -- I though that was interesting! )

Now what?
and so the kumputer again stays one step ahead of the hoomans ...

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It seems that some are getting extra programs with free software like clipgrab, depending on where you get it. If you use the default install settings instead of customized they can get installed.

You could run a malware search program and see if you accidentally was infected. The trojan used to be common common with Windose, but clipgrab doesn't seem to be discussed in malware forums recently. It is discussed on malware ad sites, where they try to scare you into buying their product and can install their own malware. Apparently there are two versions of clipgrab, one with and one without ads. The one with adds has been noted to trip malware alarms.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:ClipGrab

Last edited:

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I didn't realize that you got that security popup when you first launch ClipGrab, but I though you said that you get the popup window when you try to open the youtube video?

No, I do not get that message when I launch ClipGrab.

I got those pop-ups when I was trying to open the .mp4 file that ClipGrab created for me.

If you already launched ClipGrab (without seeing the security message), but did get the message when trying to view the downloaded video -- isn't your video what triggered the popup?

Correct.

But the question is... "Why is macOS Sierra nervous about opening a .mp4 video that I just created with ClipGrab?"

I am used to seeing macOS Sierra give me a warning about news apps that I install sometimes - especially if they are open-souce like LibreOffice.

But I don't recall ever seeing that message when I go to open a FILE.

And, of course, anytime I am asked to log in as Admin, that especially raises my eye. (Because that is where people usually get dinged... Giving malicious code the ability to run with Admin privileges.)

If you are using ClipGrab to view the video, and THAT'S when you see the message -- what is the source of your uncertainty? ClipGrab? or the video?

I went to the New York Times and used ClipGrab to download the video above.

It created a .mp4 video for me.

Then I went to Finder, to my "zDOWNLOADS" folder, and I double-clicked on the .mp4 that was just created.

And then I get the pop-ups I mentioned in Post #9.

Hopefully macOS Sierra is just being cautious because something about the signature of the .mp4 that I created is raising its eyes.

And I don't think there is anything wrong.

But I wanted to be sure before I typed in my Admin credentials.

Follow me now??

( I was ready to yell at you a bit for maybe being too suspicious about basically-simple stuff -- but, then I found this: https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-clipgrab-virus.html -- I though that was interesting! )

Now what?

Wow! Scary article!

Well, so far...

a.) I have not had any issues with my browser, and
b.) I am NOT using any browser plug ins, and
c.) I did download ClipGrab from ClipGrab.org which is supposedly the creator's site

However, maybe if I enter my log in credentials when opening a .mp4 for the first time that could happen.

Personally, I suspect that macOS is just being cautious - for reasons unknown to me - about opening the "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4" video for the first time.

But, again, I figured it would be good to come to MacRumors and ask the experts before I do something I will regret!
[automerge]1587747971[/automerge]
P.S. The bottom of the application says: "ClipGrab 3.8.11 | www.ClipGrab.org"

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I wonder if a Malwarebytes scan would quarantine ClipGrab, if it seems to be an adware target?

I guess everyone does something that they might regret occasionally!
This one, I think, is well down the scale of possible threats (probably just some adware, eh?) but you appear to be consistent with good backups, and this would be one of those times that might be important...

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I wonder if a Malwarebytes scan would quarantine ClipGrab, if it seems to be an adware target?

Yeah, but that's an interesting conundrum?! Do I install more software onto my formerly pristine Mac to check if ClipGrab is fishy?

I guess everyone does something that they might regret occasionally!

This one, I think, is well down the scale of possible threats (probably just some adware, eh?) but you appear to be consistent with good backups, and this would be one of those times that might be important...

Yeah, except this happens to be the week when Iw as doing a major re-org of my HDD because with all of the video I have been taking, I completely maxed out my 1TB drive - as in "You have 522KB left".

So you think I should be worried?

On a side note:
I was watching this *awesome* Op-Doc from the NYT, and I loved it so much I captured it using SnagIt. Well when I went to open the .mp4 that SangIt had created, it kept opening in Nikon View probably because I was using that for videos in the past for a website. So I wanted it to open in QuickTime Player, and so in Finder, I right-clicked and chose "Open With > Other" and then I chose "QuickTime Player" and checked the "Always Open With" box and then "Open".

Well when I did that, I also got a popup asking fro my Admin credentials, because I guess that was changing an OS preference like changing the time - which is of course locked.

In that case I had no issues typing in my Admin credentials, because "I" was trying to change macOS's setttings.

Could it be that when I capture that previous video using ClipGrab, that when I went to open the video and I got the 1st popup saying it was from an "unidentified developer" that that was just because the dummies didn't put that in ClipGrab, and then when I got teh 2nd popup, that may have been akin to the popup I got after changing what .mp4 files get opened up into?

In other words, it's expected behavior?

OR, could I have installed adware with that ClipGrab install?

Am not seeing any abnormal browser activities in Firefox or Chrome so far. But the posts above are making me a bit nervous...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, expected behavior when you need to modify security settings for your intentional use.
I would still be curious if you installed some adware along with the ClipGrab.
(You DID download and launch an app, which (might) have released some kind of payload. How do you know?)
Why are you reluctant to use a known-good tool?
Malwarebytes does not have an active component, unless you choose to use the paid version, mainly for full-time scanning. As you may know, most Mac users have no need for that level of (nonsense). In this case, the free version means that you run a scan manually when you feel the need.
Malwarebytes, for me, is a security-assurance tool. Makes me feel better about the the setup of my Mac.
Sometimes, you get surprised that some app, or simply a file, that you downloaded from somewhere, carried malware with it. Malwarebytes allows me to pretend to be in control of some small part of my Mac life.
Does it hit on 100% of possible threats? nope, but nothing out there finds everything. Does it find enough to make my life a (tiny) bit less nervous? Sure....

Bottom line - you get the popup because you are using the built-in libraries in your system, those that handle graphics files, for example. First time with those libraries, and you get a security popup. Shouldn't be totally unexpected, and you were doing some task that was important to you. The only "dodgy" part was that app that you installed, and that's probably nothing worth the worry. Scan with Malwarebytes, and move on.
(You have to lead your own life, ignore me. I just have opinions, not all are correct. That's why I call them opinions. :cool:)

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Yes, expected behavior when you need to modify security settings for your intentional use.

But not expected behavior when launching a file.

I would still be curious if you installed some adware along with the ClipGrab.
(You DID download and launch an app, which (might) have released some kind of payload. How do you know?)

I don't.

Why are you reluctant to use a known-good tool?

Do you mean Malwarebytes or ClipGrab?

Malwarebytes does not have an active component, unless you choose to use the paid version, mainly for full-time scanning. As you may know, most Mac users have no need for that level of (nonsense). In this case, the free version means that you run a scan manually when you feel the need.

I have heard about anti-virus/malware removal tools that do the exact oppositive and infect unsuspecting computers.

Since I have never heard of Malwarebytes, I was leery to use it.

You make it sound like it is well known and respected?

Malwarebytes, for me, is a security-assurance tool. Makes me feel better about the the setup of my Mac.
Sometimes, you get surprised that some app, or simply a file, that you downloaded from somewhere, carried malware with it. Malwarebytes allows me to pretend to be in control of some small part of my Mac life.
Does it hit on 100% of possible threats? nope, but nothing out there finds everything. Does it find enough to make my life a (tiny) bit less nervous? Sure....

So I would be better off downloading the free version and running it and I won't be making things worse, correct?

Bottom line - you get the popup because you are using the built-in libraries in your system, those that handle graphics files, for example. First time with those libraries, and you get a security popup. Shouldn't be totally unexpected, and you were doing some task that was important to you. The only "dodgy" part was that app that you installed, and that's probably nothing worth the worry. Scan with Malwarebytes, and move on.

What confuses me if why I'd be getting that 2nd popup not from ClipGrab, but from the rendered .mp4.

Is it conceivable that the .mp4 file that I made using ClipGrab is carrying a payload?

I just did another test, and when I double-click on the .mp4 that I made last night using SnagIt, it now opens up in QuickTime with no popups or issues.

But when I double-click on the .mp4 that I made using ClipGrab, then I still get the two popups, with the 2nd one still wanting my Admin credentials.

What would that make you think?

(You have to lead your own life, ignore me. I just have opinions, not all are correct. That's why I call them opinions. :cool:)

Yeah, but I deeply respect most of the advice you have given me, and I guess I will trust that now or in the future running Malwarebytes is an okay thing. (Am curious to see your response to this post first, however.)

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is there a payload of some kind in the mp4? I doubt it.
Your popup is NOT from the mp4 file. It's the app that opened when you double-clicked the mp4.
I suspect that by double-clicking, you were allowing the system to pick what app opened that mp4.
MUCH BETTER, and less likely to cause un-intended launches of apps that might "help" you in unknown ways:
Right-click your mp4, then, from the Open With drop-down, choose the app that you actually want to use, not the app that the system suggests. The two might be the same app, but now (with the right-click) you have more control over what happens.
The "known-good tool" is Malwarebytes. By comparison, I don't need what ClipGrab does (still suspicious to me, but might be OK. What made you trust it? You seem more suspicious than I am :D
Yes, Malwarebytes is well-known and respected by Mac users. It nicely covers its intended use, which is to find and remove known (by Malwarebytes) examples of malware, which on a Mac is usually adware of some kind.
The free version works well, you can find responses in these threads from Malwarebytes support folks, and the software does not take up precious system resources when it is not in use. It simply takes up a bit of space on your drive, and only asserts itself when you decide to scan the drive. The "bad players" get quarantined. You can delete those files on the spot. Quit Malwarebytes, until the next time.
And (I have a customer that does this) you can uninstall Malwarebytes from within the app. Then reinstall it the next time you want to scan. My friend runs it regularly every 3 months. Gets several "hits" on bad players each time. But, he accepts that because of the kind of sites that he goes to (all kinds of crafting and gaming sites - halls of evil for malware). I keep telling him that he needs to get the paid-for version, so that junk doesn't accumulate on his system. But, he says it's part of the territory. He just scans when the popups and re-directs get annoying - he has a high threshhold for that. I can't lose control of my web browser. He cares little.
Anyway, Malwarebytes works good. I trust it.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Is there a payload of some kind in the mp4? I doubt it.

That's good, because the Krelin and NSA are already hot on my trail!!

Your popup is NOT from the mp4 file. It's the app that opened when you double-clicked the mp4.
I suspect that by double-clicking, you were allowing the system to pick what app opened that mp4.
MUCH BETTER, and less likely to cause un-intended launches of apps that might "help" you in unknown ways:

Right-click your mp4, then, from the Open With drop-down, choose the app that you actually want to use, not the app that the system suggests. The two might be the same app, but now (with the right-click) you have more control over what happens.

Based on what I'm seeing, I have to disagree.

(I was already doing what you suggested above - see my notes in Post #9.)

Here is why I say that...

The video I captured using SnagIt is called: "Flo - Portrait of a Street Photographer.mp4" (It's an Op-Doc on the NYT times site, and very inspirational!!)

When I open that video, it opens in QuickTime. And as I recall, the first time I opened it, I right-clicked, and chose "Open With" and then chose "QuickTime".

Now when I double click on that video, it opens up in QuickTime.

For the video I created with ClipGrab: "You Clap for Me Now the coronavirus poem on racism and immigration in Britain.mp4", when I double-click on it, I am getting the 1st "unidentified developer" popup and then the 2nd "enter Admin credentials".

So, if I told macOS Sierra that I want it to open all .mp4's in QuickTime, the why is the second video I created with ClipGrab behaving differently?

Follow me?

Good or bad, it sure seems like there is some "signature" in that second file that macOS is questioning or needs verification on...

Now, MAYBE, there is some metadata/signature PER FILE, and by entering my Admin credentials, nothing bad will happen, and macOS Sierra will know anytime it sees a .mp4 created in ClipGrab that it should open it up in QuickTime?

OR, there could be some evil malware in that .mp4 that will lead to global annihilation and the end of the world as we know it?! ?

The "known-good tool" is Malwarebytes.

By comparison, I don't need (know) what ClipGrab does (still suspicious to me, but might be OK. What made you trust it? You seem more suspicious than I am :D

I trusted ClipGrab because people here said it was safe, and I researched it a little, and the reviews seemed okay on it, and it is open-source, but it is nowhere nearly as establish as say Firefox or LibreOffice.

Yes, Malwarebytes is well-known and respected by Mac users. It nicely covers its intended use, which is to find and remove known (by Malwarebytes) examples of malware, which on a Mac is usually adware of some kind.
The free version works well, you can find responses in these threads from Malwarebytes support folks, and the software does not take up precious system resources when it is not in use. It simply takes up a bit of space on your drive, and only asserts itself when you decide to scan the drive. The "bad players" get quarantined. You can delete those files on the spot. Quit Malwarebytes, until the next time.
And (I have a customer that does this) you can uninstall Malwarebytes from within the app. Then reinstall it the next time you want to scan. My friend runs it regularly every 3 months. Gets several "hits" on bad players each time. But, he accepts that because of the kind of sites that he goes to (all kinds of crafting and gaming sites - halls of evil for malware). I keep telling him that he needs to get the paid-for version, so that junk doesn't accumulate on his system. But, he says it's part of the territory. He just scans when the popups and re-directs get annoying - he has a high threshhold for that. I can't lose control of my web browser. He cares little.
Anyway, Malwarebytes works good. I trust it.

Hmmm...

I tried to read up on it yesterday, and the reviews I saw on a couple of sites made it sound like Malwarebytes does more harm than good, including filling your Mac up with more just?!

117 Reviews of Malwarebytes

This reviewer had some damning things to say: ShotBlocker on 10 August 2019

Personally, I find reviews on the modern web not very helpful, since they are either 5-stars or 1-stars, so who do you believe?

Obviously I respect your advice, but as you can see I'm not sure here.

Again, curious to see what you have to say about what I said above...

Thanks for the help so far!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm... 2 remarks:
1. "open-source" does not automatically make software "safe". The license basically allows you, or anyone else who wants to, to use, modify, add, and distribute the code. You can add some code that makes it malware, if that's what you want to do. It's open source. (Your app is probably fine, um, yeah, fine. :D )

2. nice link to MWBytes reviews. I did notice that "Shotblocker" did say that he actually liked an older version 1.3.1
I keep that on a couple of Macs that I support. Although that version was replaced a couple of years ago, it continues to update itself with definition files (that important task for any malware/antivirus app), with the most recent from yesterday, April 24 2020. The Malwarebytes site doesn't make it easy to find the older versions, but I just downloaded that from https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc...893-Install-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-for-Mac

3. (sorry, 3 remarks/questions!) Maybe you have already used another tool to check for the existence of malware, and my "bit of the sky" is not necessary. What do you use to scan your drive, or do you use something that is a full-time scanner? (One reason that I do like Malwarebytes is that the app is light-weight, and a full scan take less than a minute, sometimes only a few seconds.)
You DO use something, don't you? Although the Mac system is fairly good about detecting possible threats, even without third-party AV tools, it's nice to have that additional level of confidence that your system is yours, and not partly belonging to someone else asserting some element of control over your Mac. I'm thinking about internet re-directs, or other software that makes your computer life challenging, when life can be challenging on its own, and I think its a good idea to feel confident about using your computer, when lots of life during these days can make your confidence level drift down --- sometimes quicker than you can imagine. (found out today that my brother-in-law, and his wife both tested positive. That's some malware that I wish to avoid entirely!) :cool:

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
@DeltaMac,

Sorry, thought I had replied to this on Friday...

hmm... 2 remarks:
1. "open-source" does not automatically make software "safe". The license basically allows you, or anyone else who wants to, to use, modify, add, and distribute the code. You can add some code that makes it malware, if that's what you want to do. It's open source. (Your app is probably fine, um, yeah, fine. :D )

True.

2. nice link to MWBytes reviews. I did notice that "Shotblocker" did say that he actually liked an older version 1.3.1
I keep that on a couple of Macs that I support. Although that version was replaced a couple of years ago, it continues to update itself with definition files (that important task for any malware/antivirus app), with the most recent from yesterday, April 24 2020. The Malwarebytes site doesn't make it easy to find the older versions, but I just downloaded that from https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc...893-Install-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-for-Mac

Based on that comment, and others, I'm more leery of installing MalwareBytes to "help" than I am to deal with ClipGrab alone...

3. (sorry, 3 remarks/questions!) Maybe you have already used another tool to check for the existence of malware, and my "bit of the sky" is not necessary. What do you use to scan your drive, or do you use something that is a full-time scanner? (One reason that I do like Malwarebytes is that the app is light-weight, and a full scan take less than a minute, sometimes only a few seconds.)

You DO use something, don't you?

Actually, no, I haven't owned anti-virus software since I switched from Windows to Mac in 2008.

Everything I have read in the past - including on here - said that Mac Anti-Virus was a "ripoff" and not likely to catch anything unless you interact with Windows users (e.g. it may indentify Windows threats that you could pass along to a Windows user).

Also, my Mac is very locked down, I practice safe computing, and I don't do stupid things like social media, chatting/video-chat, going to shady website, downloading games/videos/files, and so on.

Of course, all it takes is one website or email attachment or email...

Although the Mac system is fairly good about detecting possible threats, even without third-party AV tools, it's nice to have that additional level of confidence that your system is yours, and not partly belonging to someone else asserting some element of control over your Mac.

True.

I'm thinking about internet re-directs, or other software that makes your computer life challenging, when life can be challenging on its own, and I think its a good idea to feel confident about using your computer, when lots of life during these days can make your confidence level drift down --- sometimes quicker than you can imagine.

Well, I have never had issues with pop-ups or browser redirects on my macs.

Also, I mainly use Firefox and have umatrix, NoScrip, AdBlock Plus, Privacy Badger, uBlock, Decentralize, and HTTPS Everywhere running.

So, I still haven't heard anything definitive about my ClipGrab situation?

I am thinking that once I enter my Admin credentials, that I won't ever see those pop-ups again for .mp4 videos I watch that were made with ClipGrab.

What bothers me most is, "Why would I get that pop-up for the ClipGrab mp4 video I made, but not for other mp4 videos I have made using, say, SnagIt?" (Especially is an mp4 is an mp4?)

Anyone??

(found out today that my brother-in-law, and his wife both tested positive. That's some malware that I wish to avoid entirely!) :cool:

Sorry to hear that. :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I remain sequestered away (in my house) for what is becoming way too long. :cool:

I just felt the "force" shift a bit --
Did you give Malwarebytes a trial? What was the result from a scan of your system?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.