Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjg247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I recently sought the advice of these forums on the best hardware to enable my 2012 iMac to boot from an external SSD. I settled on a 1tb SSD and a USB3 enclosure. Some background info on my current system:

HD: 1tb HDD (Mac OS Extended - Journaled)

I've consolidated the basic steps below, but wanted to see if I've missed anything:

1. Connect SSD and format using APFS (read this was best for SSD, but please correct me if I misunderstood)

2. Using Carbon Copy Cloner, clone my internal HDD contents to the SSD. (everything i've read indicates that even though my HDD is formatted as Mac OS Extended, cloning the contents to an SSD formatted as AFPS will not cause an issue)

3. Restart Mac and hold OPTION key, when prompted select SSD to boot from.

Is that it? I wanted to figure this part out first before I try to repurpose the current HDD for additional storage.

Any tips or feedback the board could provide would be greatly appreciated.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Since you are changing to the new APFS system, I would recommend creating a bootable USB installer using Install Disk Creator and doing a clean install. on the new drive. You can migrate yor apps and data if you like, or take the time to selectively prune anything you don't need. When I first switched to the new file system, I reinstalled all my Apple apps from the App Store and other apps either from their source or manually from my old drive. I let Migration Assitant migrate my basic data. Doing it this way is really easier and faster than it sounds and I have had absolutely no problems with HS. I am currently running Mojave 10.14.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.