Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
USA
Can I clone an entire volume from a Titanium PowerBook (1Ghz, 15in) to an iBook G4 (1.33Ghz, 12in, Mid 2005) and have it work properly?

The Ti PowerBook system was installed from a Leopard retail disc.

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
USA
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Ti PowerBook is dead, but the HD works and has been removed and will be placed into an external enclosure.
So. I guess I can (hopefully) boot the iBook from the external enclosure and then use Disk Utility to erase the iBook then do the cloning. Or, if the external enclosure can't boot the iBook for some reason I could start it with a CD, then erase and clone.

The main thing I wanted to make sure of is that the system will have all of the necessary drivers, since the iBook is newer then the Ti PowerBook. The iBook as hardware that the PowerBook does not such as USB2 , Bluetooth, 802.11g, etc.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard includes all drivers for compatible Macs until 2007 (release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard) and 2009 (release of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard), thus USB 2.0 and 802.11 drivers are included.

Also know, that the AlBook might not be able to boot from USB enclosures.

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
USA
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard includes all drivers for compatible Macs until 2007 (release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard) and 2009 (release of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard), thus USB 2.0 and 802.11 drivers are included.

Right, but would those drivers have been installed on the Titanium Powerbook from the retail disc even though the PB does not have Bluetoot and USB2 or 802.11g??

Also know, that the AlBook might not be able to boot from USB enclosures.[/QUOTE]

No AlBook is involved, but if the iBook G4 won't book from USB2 then we have the option of Firewire.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Right, but would those drivers have been installed on the Titanium Powerbook from the retail disc even though the PB does not have Bluetoot and USB2 or 802.11g??
Yes, I could use my Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger iBook to boot a G5 PowerMac without problems.

No AlBook is involved, but if the iBook G4 won't book from USB2 then we have the option of Firewire.
Sorry, meant iBook, but was confused. Some virus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.