Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I currently have two independent TM backups. One started off as the clone of the other. I did it such a way that Time Machine thinks that they are the same TM backup when I plug in either drive, which is not what I intended. This means if I plug in TM Drive A, perform a backup, dismount and unplug it and then plug in TM Drive B, TM tells me the last backup for that drive was time of the last backup I made to TM Drive A.

I'm pretty confident I read somewhere that it's possible to have TM recognise each TM Drive as a unique TM backup, and therefore properly report the lapsed time since each backup correctly for either drive.

I'm about to upgrade TM Drive B, which will entail cloning it to a new USB 3 HDD. How do I do this and have TM recognise it as a unique TM backup and thus report the correct lapsed time in future?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You start a new TM volume not clone the existing one, no other way to have them different after all. A clone is just that a clone of the previous drive so will always show up as identical. When you plug in new drive go into TM preferences and add another volume for its backup it will ask if you want to use both say yes let it do its thing and you will have two different backups from that point on showing the correct time lapsed on both.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for replying. I may just stick with the current set-up then. I've had too many experiences with the sudden TM corruption where you have to start with a fresh backup.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
As have I it is an unreliable method of backup, personally I have taken to keeping several clones of my OS laying around much better IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.