Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejj18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Hi,

I am trying to clone my existing 500GB SSD (with 2 partitions: Catalina and Monterey) to a new 1TB SSD for my MBP 9.2

I tried doing an image of the 500GB on the 1TB with Disk Drill; but it does not boot.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
do you have to clone? The Migration Assistant works.

For cloning bootable drives, I use CCC.

ejj18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
I can't use Migration Assistant because I don't have 2 Mac.

I would like to clone the existing 500 SSD (2 partitions: Catalina and Monterey) from my MBP 9.2 to the 1 TB SSD (keeping the 2 partitions).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would like to clone the existing 500 SSD (2 partitions: Catalina and Monterey) from my MBP 9.2 to the 1 TB SSD (keeping the 2 partitions).
Many ways to do this, here is one:

Connect the 1TB to your Mac externally.
Format and partition it using Disk Utility.
Boot into Catalina on the 500GB SSD.
Do fresh install of Catalina on one of the partitions of the 1TB SSD.
Once fresh install finishes, do migration assistant, using Catalina from the 500GB as the source.
Boot in any of the Catalina or Monterey OSs.
Do fresh install of Monterey on the unused partition of the 1TB SSD.
Once fresh install finishes, do migration assistant, using Monterey from the 500GB as the source.
Enjoy.

If you don't want to use Migration Assistant, you can use a cloning SW like CCC.

ejj18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Thanks for the info.

Meantime I did it with CCC (two partitions for the two OS) from 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD.

It is booting from Catalina.

But there is no first boot screen showing choice between Catalina and Monterey(OpenCore Patcher).

I suppose that one program line is missing.

Any idea?

ejj18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Or missing the correct drivers to boot to the newly cloned Crucial SSD immediately after cloning?

Is there a way to reinstall just the correct drivers to boost the new SSD and the first boost screen showing the booting choice Monterey or Catalina?

Or shall I reinstall the full OCLP release 0.6.8 (I can see that the Monterey folders have been cloned in the Monterey partition)?

I still have the USB Flash Drive with the OCLP from February 2022; but I forgot the sequencing for installing it.

ejj18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Correction: .... reinstall the full Monterey OCLP release....

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Hi,

I am trying to clone my existing 500GB SSD (with 2 partitions: Catalina and Monterey) to a new 1TB SSD for my MBP 9.2

I tried doing an image of the 500GB on the 1TB with Disk Drill; but it does not boot.
super duper ...free -will make em bootable has for me several times....automatic nothing to check etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.