Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hello. I have an iPhone I use as a camera and know nothing about mobile phone.

Today I might break down and get a mobile plan for the first time in my life...

For macOS, there is the "Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)" application that allows you to create a perfect snapshot of your running Mac (i.e. "bootable clone").

Does such a concept exist for iOS?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

For macOS, there is the "Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)" application that allows you to create a perfect snapshot of your running Mac (i.e. "bootable clone").

The closest thing is basically backing up your device using iTunes (iCloud backup being the next option to that).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I don't think perfect images are possible. iTunes was able to handle limited backups, and iCloud can help backup some other stuff like app data, but that depends on if the app supports iCloud. An actual restorable image is impossible as far as I know.

It's a pretty big setback for iOS, and is one of the many reasons that holds iOS back from being a proper desktop OS replacement like Apple was trying to sell it as, IMO

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
The closest thing is basically backing up your device using iTunes (iCloud backup being the next option to that).

So from a high-level standpoint, how would I do that?
[automerge]1593536416[/automerge]
I don't think perfect images are possible. iTunes was able to handle limited backups, and iCloud can help backup some other stuff like app data, but that depends on if the app supports iCloud. An actual restorable image is impossible as far as I know.

It's a pretty big setback for iOS, and is one of the many reasons that holds iOS back from being a proper desktop OS replacement like Apple was trying to sell it as, IMO

Wow, that totally sucks! (Another reason I hate mobile...)

Can you clone an Android?

I am thinking of getting a mobile plan today for my iPhone which I use as a camera, and I would be more inclined to use it more if I could protect my OS/apps/data/settings.

• Angry
Reactions: gnasher729

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The short answer is, no, no way to do a whole-device CCC-style backup. Backup methodology is focused on backing up data and settings. The OS is handled by doing what you'd consider a "clean reinstall." The device gets erased, the OS gets reinstalled, then the data and settings is restored.

I'm not going to get into the reasons for it. It's the way things have been designed. Live with it, or stick to your Mac.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
There really is no need for a clone of a mobile device. They don’t have hard drives that go bad and such, usually the entire thing is toast if you have an issue. But I’ve never heard of anyone needing to replace the memory in an iPhone.

If you use iCloud backup, all the data for every app is backed up to the iCloud. So if you factory reset or change devices, the device will download all the settings and data that are saved in your iCloud backup. It also knows from the backup what apps you had installed on your device so it will automatically download all those fresh as well. And put them in the extract configuration you had before.

And yes you can create a backup with iTunes as well, but using the iCloud is so simple, especially when switching to a new device. That process is super simple now and with just a few clicks and a scan of a qr type code from the old phone to the new one you have very little to do to put a “clone” of your old phone onto your new one. And it’ll be with a fresh install of the apps. (Only a couple extra steps if you are simply factory resetting the same phone for some reason)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Can you clone an Android?

No. They're more open than Apple but outside of a rooted device, you're almost just as limited with Android as you are Apple.
[automerge]1593553033[/automerge]

One thing to add - when you upgrade you have the option to place the old and new phones beside eachother and clone the old to the new.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
No. They're more open than Apple but outside of a rooted device, you're almost just as limited with Android as you are Apple.
[automerge]1593553033[/automerge]

One thing to add - when you upgrade you have the option to place the old and new phones beside eachother and clone the old to the new.

I'm not changing phones. I might be buying a sim card/mobile plan.

And I was hoping to get a perfect snapshot of what I have now, so that just like on my Mac, I can break things and then roll things back later to what I have at this moment.

Especially since I am new to iOS and mobile phones, it makes sense to have a clone at various points in time so I can always go backwards or forwards to where I need to be.

Seems strange there is no CCC for iOS or Android. :-(

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'm not changing phones. I might be buying a sim card/mobile plan.

And I was hoping to get a perfect snapshot of what I have now, so that just like on my Mac, I can break things and then roll things back later to what I have at this moment.

Especially since I am new to iOS and mobile phones, it makes sense to have a clone at various points in time so I can always go backwards or forwards to where I need to be.

Seems strange there is no CCC for iOS or Android. :-(

Not strange in the slightest. Smartphones and tablets are not regular computers.

They severely restrict access for Apps to see anything other than sensor data or their own data.

The exceptions being Camera apps, contact apps and calendar apps.

This is a very good thing.

The best one can do is a backup to a computer which will back up the device enough that it can be restored. This would be via iTunes on Windows or pre Catalina Max's, or Finder with Catalina and Big Sur.

Outside of that there's the more limited iCloud backups.

Trust me, the very last thing you want is a third party app that can backup your entire device, for if you have that then your entire device is now at risk of being compromised.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Not strange in the slightest. Smartphones and tablets are not regular computers.

They severely restrict access for Apps to see anything other than sensor data or their own data.

The exceptions being Camera apps, contact apps and calendar apps.

This is a very good thing.

First off, regardless of how access is/is not controlled on an iPhone does NOT impact my desire to make an *exact* copy of it at any point in time. And allowing people to do that should hvae no impact on what you are saying.

The OS is the lowest level, and if you can install an application like CCC on an iPhone then it should be able to clone the entire SSD - whether file-by-file or bit-by-bit.

Secondly, if smartphones did such a good job of siloing data, then we wouldn't have all of the spying that occurs on smartphones. (Nearly everything I have read about smartphones says that you CANNOT trust apps as they steal your app data, personal data, and physical data (e.g. location) all day long...)

The best one can do is a backup to a computer which will back up the device enough that it can be restored. This would be via iTunes on Windows or pre Catalina Max's, or Finder with Catalina and Big Sur.

So it sounds like you all are saying that on an iPhone, data/files is really previsioned into the a.0 OS and b.) Apps/Apps Data, right?

And that iTunes would let me copy *most* of the Apps/Apps Data, and then I could restore iOS separately, right?

Outside of that there's the more limited iCloud backups.

No way in hell I'm putting my data on "The Cloud"?! :rolleyes:

Trust me, the very last thing you want is a third party app that can backup your entire device, for if you have that then your entire device is now at risk of being compromised.

Doesn't the same risk exist for a Mac?

Does iOS not have the concept of an Admin user and Regular user so you can do administrative things safely (e.g. CCC) yet not be running as Root all day long?

It's starting to sound like smartphones - at least iOS - are rather primative...

• Angry

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
First off, regardless of how access is/is not controlled on an iPhone does NOT impact my desire to make an *exact* copy of it at any point in time. And allowing people to do that should hvae no impact on what you are saying.

The OS is the lowest level, and if you can install an application like CCC on an iPhone then it should be able to clone the entire SSD - whether file-by-file or bit-by-bit.

Secondly, if smartphones did such a good job of siloing data, then we wouldn't have all of the spying that occurs on smartphones. (Nearly everything I have read about smartphones says that you CANNOT trust apps as they steal your app data, personal data, and physical data (e.g. location) all day long...)

So it sounds like you all are saying that on an iPhone, data/files is really previsioned into the a.0 OS and b.) Apps/Apps Data, right?

And that iTunes would let me copy *most* of the Apps/Apps Data, and then I could restore iOS separately, right?

No way in hell I'm putting my data on "The Cloud"?! :rolleyes:

Doesn't the same risk exist for a Mac?

Does iOS not have the concept of an Admin user and Regular user so you can do administrative things safely (e.g. CCC) yet not be running as Root all day long?

It's starting to sound like smartphones - at least iOS - are rather primative...

As I said, it's not the same. There is no admin user. What you ask for is never going to happen natively. Ever.

Same with Android.

Root & Jailbreak are two sides of the same coin, they achieve somewhat similar goals.

Backups with iTunes/Finder are the closest you're going to get. There is no further discussion needed.

The backup backs up ALL user apps and data. It does NOT backup the OS. Backups need to be encrypted to backup health data and I'm unsure if any backup will backup cards inside the wallet.

What I'm stating here isn't a debatable opinion, it's a cold hard verifiable fact. You appear not to be happy with my response - not sure what I'm meant to do with that.

You raise the concern of apps and permissions and then want an app to do all that and more.

Smartphones are not primitive in the slightest. The very idea of that is laughable in the extreme.

TL;DR: No, you absolutely cannot get a third party CCC type app to do a 100% clone of your phone, outside using the Apple proscribed methods.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
As I said, it's not the same. There is no admin user. What you ask for is never going to happen natively. Ever.

Same with Android.

So smartphones really have dumb OS's that people just blindly use (and trust) and any tinkering is only done at the app level?

Who knew?!

Root & Jailbreak are two sides of the same coin, they achieve somewhat similar goals.

So do they not have the concept of user-types and Admin so that people don't "jail-break" iOS and iPhones? (Whatever "jailbreak" really means?!)

Backups with iTunes/Finder are the closest you're going to get. There is no further discussion needed.

The backup backs up ALL user apps and data. It does NOT backup the OS. Backups need to be encrypted to backup health data and I'm unsure if any backup will backup cards inside the wallet.

According to this link that @C DM provided...
Backups from your computer

A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:
  • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from Finder or iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

So I'm not sure I understand what this list means...

a.) Is it saying if I have downloaded music from the Apple store, or maybe I imported my own mp3's into iTunes, that they would NOT get backed up?

Why is that?

f.) Apparently you can use the Apple Mail email client, and if you did and had it set to store emails locally (POP3), then your emails would NOT get backed up?

g.) I cannot think of how you'd use the Keychain - since I don't use it on my macs - but if you did, I guess you would have to set things back up again if you restored your iPhone backup?

What I'm stating here isn't a debatable opinion, it's a cold hard verifiable fact. You appear not to be happy with my response - not sure what I'm meant to do with that.

Asking tough questions to try and really learn something new doesn't mean that I question your intelligence or expertise, it just means being thorough in my inquiry! ;-)

I am starting to see why I have never had a desire to use an iPhone or any smartphone.

Very hard to wrap my head around why 95% of American lives and breaths to own and drive a "Yugo" (i.e iPhone) when for a little more you can drive a "BMW" (i.e. Mac)?!

To me, the OS/file system *is* the computer/device, so not sure why they cut so many corners on smartphones...

You raise the concern of apps and permissions and then want an app to do all that and more.

I never asked for Admin or Root access. I would like the ability to READ the entire SSD and clone it for backup.

Why is that insecure?

And why is it supposedly secure on my MBP, yet it is demed not secure on my iPhone?

Please explain the logic of that...

Smartphones are not primitive in the slightest. The very idea of that is laughable in the extreme.

They currently don't even have Finder or a way to store things on the file system, so how can that be considered advanced?

Hell, I asked that question to an Apple "Genius" 3 years ago, and his response was, "Yeah, I know. Good point! Hopefully Apple catches up with the times with the next iOS..."

TL;DR: No, you absolutely cannot get a third party CCC type app to do a 100% clone of your phone, outside using the Apple proscribed methods.

Bummer.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
It’s not a dumb OS. It’s a walled off OS. No apps can modify it.

Apps can simply be deleted to get rid of any app that isn’t working right or doing things you don’t like.

Think of it this way....

You don’t go in and change the code of apps or iOS. Thats not what iOS is. That’s what Mac OS is.

You only really change settings in iOS. If an app doesn’t have the settings you like you find a different app that does.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
It’s not a dumb OS. It’s a walled off OS. No apps can modify it.

Any "good" OS (i.e. NOT Micorosft) should be walled off.

I think all modern macOS versions do a good job at that.

Apps can simply be deleted to get rid of any app that isn’t working right or doing things you don’t like.

Right.

Think of it this way....

You don’t go in and change the code of apps or iOS. Thats not what iOS is. That’s what Mac OS is.

Unless you have a nefarious application, I don't believe applications change macOS in any way. (Except maybe when you, as Admin, all them to interact with the OS more.)

You only really change settings in iOS. If an app doesn’t have the settings you like you find a different app that does.

Okay, but how does this relate to why you cannot have an application like CCC on iOS?

Now I'm not an OS engineer, but when I create a clone in CCC, it is read-only.

And when I install a clone on my Mac - maybe a new itrnal SSD? - then I believe all of that is happening at the boot level - because you don't have an OS.

I'm not understanding why it breaks some law of Physics to do the same thing you'd do on a Mac.

Also trying to understand why the paradign shift on an iPhone.

(I'm not debating that you cannot do what I want, @TiggrToo, but I cannot see any real benefits.)

In another thread of mine, apparently you also cannot install older versions of iOS back on your iPhone, so maybe that exlains why cloning has no real benefit.

What I can say from experience, though, is that CCC is one of my *favorite* applications on my Mac. To be able to create a perfect copy of your OS, applications, data, and settings in a matter of minutes, and then to be able to boot from that, re-install it on a different HDD/SDD, or recover from it is a thing of beauty!!

Why you wouldn't want the same thing on a smartphone is beyond me...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ultimately the backup options that are available for iPhones and iPads are through iTunes (using a computer) or through iCloud.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'm not understanding why it breaks some law of Physics to do the same thing you'd do on a Mac.

This is nothing to do with physics.

Really not sure why you're continuing to beat this dead horse.

You've got your answer & I myself have zero desire to get involved in philosophical OS discussions.

You've got your answer - nothing you can do nor say is going to make any difference to the answer. You feeling this doesn't make any sense notwithstanding, the answer is the answer.

End. of.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
This is nothing to do with physics.

Really not sure why you're continuing to beat this dead horse.

You've got your answer & I myself have zero desire to get involved in philosophical OS discussions.

You've got your answer - nothing you can do nor say is going to make any difference to the answer. You feeling this doesn't make any sense notwithstanding, the answer is the answer.

End. of.

Why bother to reply then?

I asked pretty clear questions to understand the logic of why design decisions were made.

Legitimate questions.

Posting telling me that you don't feel my questions have merit adds nothing to this thread...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Why bother to reply then?

I asked pretty clear questions to understand the logic of why design decisions were made.

Legitimate questions.

Posting telling me that you don't feel my questions have merit adds nothing to this thread...

Quite honestly, they don't. And no, they're not legitimate questions because they're based upon faulty knowledge.

You asked if there was a CCC type app available for iOS. You were given the answer.

You asked why not. You were told why not.

You continue to debate the merits of an operating system yet have made it clear you don't know much about anything and are basing everything on Mac OSX.

All operating systems are not the same. Back in the day working on military grade Unix, I had to get my head around how security labels affected what even root could, and could not do.

iOS was built from the ground up to be secure. OSX is derived from BSD, a Unix derivative.

Android currently uses a Linux kernel. Word is that Google are pursuing a totally different OS to allow them to tighten down security even more.

Smartphones are not desktop computers.

You argue what the harm is of allowing an app like CCC is.

Think about this for a minute.

Now, while thinking remember that users traditionally have banking apps on their phone, GPS apps, social media apps.

Now imagine I'm a nefarious app taking advantage of having carte blanch access to ask that lovely personnel data. Just like CCC.

That's your big risk #1.

Now extrapolate this out further. A backup is no good if it can't also restore. So now I can read AND write to anywhere. Look at that I've siphoned of all your data, and now I'm reencrypting it and holding it to ransom.

Now, ask yourself this: if iOS is so awful, how come there's never even been any ransomware attacks on users?

You seem to be of the belief that not having a CCC type solution is a bad thing.

It's a very good thing in reality. It means Apple have been successful in crafting their OS.

You're mistaking a flexibility issue with security.

Sometimes flexibility and security are not synonymous.

You want backups? Use the Apple method.

Or not.

Doesn't make any difference really.

The base fact of the matter is that millions of people using iPhones & iPads trust Apple are doing everything they can to keep their information protected and you seen to feel is still OK to run roughshod over all these protections "just because" you feel it's not right.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

It's built into iOS. It's called "backup". When you buy a new phone, one way to setup the new phone is restoring the phone from that backup. That's what everyone uses.
[automerge]1593596865[/automerge]

Pakaku, you are wrong on so many levels.

"Perfect images" would be possible for Apple to create, but immensely undesirable. First, you don't want to have things in a backup that can be restored without backing them app - like your apps, which are not backed up, but just downloaded again from the App Store when needed. Any downloaded data that can be downloaded again shouldn't be backed up. Second, for security reasons application developers mark secret data as "may be copied to a different device" or "may not be copied to a different device". The latter kind MUST NOT be backed up.

The backup feature in iTunes backs up everything, including app data, if you choose "encrypted backup". iCloud backs up everything, including app data. This does absolutely not depend on the app supporting iCloud. I have restored phones multiple times, basically every time a phone or iPad is replaced with a new phone.

As a result, your conclusion about the "pretty big setback" for iOS is totally wrong.

Last edited:

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Quite honestly, they don't. And no, they're not legitimate questions because they're based upon faulty knowledge.

There is no logic in this rant...

First, if my questions aren't legitimate, then why are you now responding to them? (That's all I asked for...)

Second, you seem to miss the idea that I already said I have no experience in the mobile space, AND THUS my knowledge/understanding/experience is OBVIOUSLY lacking. So asking for help is NOT faulty. You're just getting pissed because I don't seem to get mobile...

Now that we have that out of the way, let me read your responses below...

You asked if there was a CCC type app available for iOS. You were given the answer.

And I accepted that CCC doesn't exist for mobile...

You asked why not. You were told why not.

I didn't get a good why not response... (I got a "Just because, damn it!")

You continue to debate the merits of an operating system yet have made it clear you don't know much about anything and are basing everything on Mac OSX.

Then why don't you enlighten me...

All operating systems are not the same.

Right.

Back in the day working on military grade Unix, I had to get my head around how security labels affected what even root could, and could not do.

iOS was built from the ground up to be secure. OSX is derived from BSD, a Unix derivative.

And as far as I know, Unix was built to be secure from the ground up. So your point?

Android currently uses a Linux kernel. Word is that Google are pursuing a totally different OS to allow them to tighten down security even more.

Okay.

Smartphones are not desktop computers.

Obviously.

You argue what the harm is of allowing an app like CCC is.

Think about this for a minute.

Alas, now we get to what I was asking about...

Now, while thinking remember that users traditionally have banking apps on their phone, GPS apps, social media apps.

Now imagine I'm a nefarious app taking advantage of having carte blanch access to ask that lovely personnel data. Just like CCC.

That's your big risk #1.

Fair enough, however, a person can have those same things on their computer - except for GPS.

I personally don't do banking online for security reasons, but I certainly could from my Retina. And I could do social media from my laptop. And since I am starting a business, you better damn well believe I have an insane amount of sesnsitive things on my encrypted and very locked down Retina.

So while I agree with the importance to secure a smartphone, it's not like there isn't a need to secure computers as well. (What needs to be secured more? A few GB's of data, or Terabytes of data?)

Probably one of the biggest reason I'm a Mac user is because I believe Apple genuinely cares about securing my data.

I'm glad to hear that they take mobile security seriously as well!

Now extrapolate this out further. A backup is no good if it can't also restore.

I agree, and you are implying that I would not be able to "boot" from an iOS clone if one could be made.

I didn't know that. Now I do!

So now I can read AND write to anywhere. Look at that I've siphoned of all your data, and now I'm reencrypting it and holding it to ransom.

You lost me on the "write" part.

Not being able to boot up from another device or from a clone doesn't logically have anything to do with the ability to write data to your iPhone.

I can boot up from a CD containing Knoppix, but that doesn't mean I can then overwrite my hard-drive with Knoppix, right?

Now, ask yourself this: if iOS is so awful, how come there's never even been any ransomware attacks on users?

I find the workflow of mobile to be strange and foreign at this point.

But then since I have no experience in this area, what else would you expect?

That is a very interesting point about ransomware!

(Okay, so that is good to know, because I am all about privacy and security!)

You seem to be of the belief that not having a CCC type solution is a bad thing.

Having a "siloed" OS is a good thing from a security standpoint. I agree.

But not having a way to backup your iPhones current state is not a good thing.

You imply that you have a Sys Admin, and Unix) background. So certianly you understand why backup and recovery is important. (Although I'm not sure that the concept of a "bootable clone" exists in either the Unix or Linux worlds...)

If as you, and others, have implied before that iOS is *entirely* slioed from apps and data, then I suppose the need for a clone isn't as important.

But to be honest, I am skeptical of that, because no operating system that I know of is read-only. (But, of course, I know nothing of iOS.)

On a side note... If having the ability to create a "clone", and even more so, having the ability to create a "bootable clone" is so dangerous, then why does Apple allow it on macOS?

My Retinas are VERY locked down, although everything is hackable.

And I always run as a regular user.

And I use secure pass-phrases, and obviously my mac and my backup clones are encrypted.

I also use EFI passwords, which makes breaking into my Macs very, very difficult.

So I don't see Carbon Copy Clone (CCC) or my "bootable clones" as any kind of security threat to me or my data. (In fact, if one of my clones fell into the hands of the NSA, I'd be reasonably confident that my data would be safe.)

All of this could be achieve on an iPhone *IF* that is what Apple wanted.

Apparently their vision of how a mobile OS and mobile environment should work is diffeent. And that's why I came here to get a better undrstanding of things from you gurus! ;-)

It's a very good thing in reality. It means Apple have been successful in crafting their OS.

You're mistaking a flexibility issue with security.

No.

Secure systems, by design, are a PITA to use.

All I am wanting is a secure system that I can clone, so when something gets fubared - which always happens in IT - that I can roll back in time to whent hings worked.

That "want" has brought me Hell's fury in this thread so far. *LOL*

All of you imply that there is no need for a clone, because your data can be backed up, and you just re-install iOS and you are golden.

That seems like an oversimplification to me.

And based on what people are telling me in another thread, there is no way to roll back to a previous iOS.

For instance, on my iPhone 6S Plus with v10.x.y, if something got fubared, then I would have no way to restore my iPhone to it's origin, virgin state because iOS is like up to v13.x.y and apparently Apple no longer "signs" v10.x.y.

(I don't know many computer users, or sys admins, or develoeprs that would be happy with that?!)

Of course, THIS is mobile, so apparently people in this realm see the world differently?!

Sometimes flexibility and security are not synonymous.

As security increases, convenience decreases...

As privacy increases, convenience decreases...

THIS I know!!

You want backups? Use the Apple method.

I'll look into when I have time.

Just seems like a bummer that the more I use my iPhone, in the back of my mind I have to resolve that I can NEVER roll back to the original state when it comes to the OS.

That makes me nervous, because in my years of experience, "newer" is rarely "better"... (At least until they work out all of the kinks, at which point "newer" is now "older"?!) *LOL*

Doesn't make any difference really.

The base fact of the matter is that millions of people using iPhones & iPads trust Apple are doing everything they can to keep their information protected and you seen to feel is still OK to run roughshod over all these protections "just because" you feel it's not right.

Why do you twist things that I say?

I have *never* said that I don't want or support security. Never.

However, anyone that knows anything about security knows that clones/backups and recoveries are a key part of good security.

If you never want or need to get back to current state, and just need to protect your apps and data, then I guess the way Apple does things is okay. But it sure isn't how things have worked my entire life in the computer realm.

And that is why all of this seems foreign to me.

More importantly, this is no sin in asking HOW and WHY things work the way that they do in the iPhone space...

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
So smartphones really have dumb OS's that people just blindly use (and trust) and any tinkering is only done at the app level?

Who knew?!
Er... everybody who has been using a smartphone since 2007?

Okay, but how does this relate to why you cannot have an application like CCC on iOS?
What good would a backup be if you were unable to restore it?
And to restore it, you would have to grant a third party app permission to replace absolutely everything on the device, including the operating system. I can hardly imagine a bigger security threat. iOS is secure precisely because it's tamper-proof. Allowing it to be tampered with by a random app written by a random guy on the internet, just because someone happens to reckon that the guy is trustworthy, would be unthinkable from a security perspective. I, for one, would never keep any sensitive data on a device that allowed that.

Why you wouldn't want the same thing on a smartphone is beyond me...
Why would you? What good would it be? If I wreck my phone, or lose it, or it's stolen, I can simply buy another iPhone and restore a backup, and I will end up with a perfect clone. Literally. The same wallpaper, the same apps, the same order of the icons on the home screen, the same settings, the same ringtones, the same pictures and music and all... It will be a perfect clone. So what more could such an app offer?
Just because a tool works fine on macOS doesn't mean it makes sense on iOS. These are completely different things. It's like expecting a car engine to work on a motorcycle. Motorcycles have their own engines, which work much better for them than a car engine would.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
More importantly, this is no sin in asking HOW and WHY things work the way that they do in the iPhone space...

No, there isn't. But having been told how and why you're now arguing as to the why.

You've admitted you don't understand any of this, yet you continue to post nonsense and fight facts.

You do not come over as someone who wants to learn; rather your posts have been combative in nature.

Your question has been answered - multiple times. You seem to be not happy with the answer. That's your problem, not anyone else's.

And bad news, it's not going to change. The answer was the answer yesterday, it is still the answer today, and will continue to be the answer tomorrow: due to the design of iOS and iPadOS, you will never have a third party app like CCC able to make an exact clone of your device.

Period.

Don't like it? Take it up with Apple.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@Texas_Toast. Regarding a CCC type of thing for iOS/iPhone…

It is Apple's intent to make iOS as secure as possible. It's also their intent to control the user experience and to reduce support issues.

They don't allow this type of app because it would allow you to go back and forth between different versions of iOS, denying Apple the ability to control the user experience and opening them up to support issues. It also makes you less 'secure' because you're not on the latest version of iOS. Allowing you to go back and forth also means that your device can be compromised based on security holes that exist for the version of iOS you choose.

Apple patches security holes with upgrades and updates to iOS. Allowing you to freely rollback makes you less 'secure'. That also opens them up to litigation.

If Apple has everyone, or mostly everyone, on the same version of iOS then they can also control support. They aren't handling support issues because you're trying to run iOS 4 on an iPhone 11, or iOS 13 on an iPhone 3GS.

Further, if Apple allowed an app like this it would also negate or complicate their practice of digital signing. Apple stops digitally signing a version of iOS when there is an update. Without that digital signing you cannot roll back. So a CCC type app would work around this, dodging the security and support/control issues that Apple is trying to maintain.

Quite honestly, this type of app would be an absolute boon to the jailbreaking community - a community Apple has hated and fought against since day one for the reasons I give above. So, that's another reason it's not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.