Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
Is there a way to set up my MacBook so I can shut the lid when I have it connected to my Dell 20" monitor? I do have the wireless BlueTooth mouce and keyboard for the MacBook and the Mini-DVI to VGA connector.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:pPC6800)

to run in clamshell, you have to have the monitor, keyboard/mouse or remote, and the power. mb must be plugged in. hook it all up, and then wake it. should work.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Apple said:
If you use an external display or projector with any MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro (17-inch), MacBook or PowerBook G4 with built-in Bluetooth and have a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, you can close the display and still use the computer. Here's how.

(If you want to do the same thing with a regular USB mouse and keyboard, see this article.)

1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.

2. Verify that Bluetooth is turned on by using the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences or the Bluetooth menu icon.

3. Pair your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the computer. For step-by-step instructions, click here for keyboard pairing or click here for mouse pairing.

4. In System Preferences, be sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer option is selected.

5. Connect the Apple video (VGA or DVI) adapter that came with your computer to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.
With the computer turned on and your wireless keyboard or mouse paired, connect the other end of the adapter to the video output port on your notebook.

6. Once your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the notebook's lid.

7. Once it's closed, wake the computer up by either clicking your Bluetooth mouse button or by pressing a key on your Bluetooth keyboard.

8. You should now be able to use your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or PowerBook G4 as you normally would, using your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

When you are finished using your MacBook Pro, MacBook, or PowerBook G4 in closed-lid mode, the internal display will not come on when you open the lid until you have disconnected the external display. If you want the internal display to enable again, remove the external display connector, put the computer to sleep, and then open the lid. This will toggle the computer to come out of closed-lid mode and once again provide power and a video signal to the internal display.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.