Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I'm using the External Graphics Development Kit with my MBP, so I have an external gpu connected to an external monitor. Since the latest build of High Sierra, when I close the lid of the MBP, the MBP display remains enabled. Any windows on that screen stay there, and I can still drag windows to it, despite it being closed.

I submitted a bug report and was told this is an intended change to macOS, which seems awful.

I wasn't told and have no way to test if this is specific to using an external gpu or if this is true when using any external display connected to a MBP. Can anyone confirm?

I was just about to buy a vertical MBP stand, but it sounds like those may no longer be a good idea...

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Still works fine with the use of two Displayport displays over Thunderbolt.
clamshell.png

Fender321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for confirming! I guess it only affects the external gpu setup, although I'm still confused why that would be the case.

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
Thanks for confirming! I guess it only affects the external gpu setup, although I'm still confused why that would be the case.
Because you forgot to read the release notes for eGPU kit. It clearly states that Closed-Clamshel mode is currently not supported by this kit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.