Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
is there any way to close the ibook with out making it sleep because I want to keep it downloading some files at night but I can't close the screen, is there an option on system preferences to stop it from sleeping I know some windows manchines will let you do that cause I had a dell and it let me do that. :confused:

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
If you plug a USB mouse, external keyboard, and external monitor in, then shut it, it will fall asleep. Then awaken it from sleep by moving the mouse around, and it will be fine.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
xwk88 said:
is there any way to close the ibook with out making it sleep because I want to keep it downloading some files at night but I can't close the screen, is there an option on system preferences to stop it from sleeping I know some windows manchines will let you do that cause I had a dell and it let me do that. :confused:
Just turn screen brightness all the way down to "off" and/or in System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Settings for Power Adapter -> Show Details drag the Display slider down to like 10 minutes, and the screen, not the machine will shut itself off after 10 minutes of inactivity (i.e. keyboard or mouse action).

DON'T shut it while on after using the screen spanning hack... you'll fry it...

Silver6

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
I recently sent in my ibook for repair through Apple and after getting it back, I can close the lid and it doesn't goto sleep. So weird. I actually don't like it this way and I don't know how to put it back. Although it does work good for hooking up to my LCD monitor, staying on and keeping the screen closed. But if anyone has any ideas how to make it sleep again, that'd be great.

tombo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
Brighton/Bristol UK
MacFan25863 said:
If you plug a USB mouse, external keyboard, and external monitor in, then shut it, it will fall asleep. Then awaken it from sleep by moving the mouse around, and it will be fine.

Mine goes back to sleep after about 10 seconds after I move the external mouse.
I suspect it just will awaken after any significant event like the mouse being moved.

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
thanks I think I'll stay with the turning down the brightness that works fine since it even stop the little sleeping light from going on, that way I can sleep great and download my stuff overnight. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.