Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
While I am really enjoying my new iPhone 7 I am unclear as to how cloud backup and other related services work.
e.g. what is the difference between iCloud, iCloud Drive, and iCloud Backup? Which one should I use to back up my data - pictures/videos, Notes, Calendar entries, Reminders, WhatsApp chats? I also want to be able to restore these if the phone is broken or lost.

After setting up iCal on my gmail account I see Work and Home calendars. Where are the entries for these calendars saved? Is there some way to save these on my computer and also back them up on iCloud?

I don’t use iMessages on my computer. How do I ensure that messages on my iPhone are being backed up and will be restored in case it is lost etc.?

I like Notes and will be using them for research related work every now and then. How do I back up Notes on my phone so these can be accessed if the phone is lost or crashes?

Thanks!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
iCloud is Apples cloud service.

iCloud Drive and iCloud Backup are just more specific functions for their cloud services.

iCloud Drive is essentially a place to store files of your choosing and it gives you access to them from other devices. Similar to DropBox but different.

iCloud Backup is a vague term but its the backup of personal data and settings to Apples Cloud service. If you goto Settings > iCloud you'll see all the apps its backing up data for. Pressing Manage Storage will show you how much data each app is using of iCloud space.

Messages can be backed up 2 ways with iCloud. Turning off Messages in iCloud will include the messages in the backup file. Turning on Messages in iCloud will separate them from your backup and save them separately. Not really too much difference when it comes to back ups however in functionality having it on will cause messages to sync, ie delete a message off your iPhone and it is removed from your iPad. So messages across your devices look the same.

I actually just restored my iPad from an iCloud back up. Took 25 minutes and the iPad looked identical to how I left everything, even app icon placement and such. Typically it works very well.

The benefit of backing up with iCloud is that if you get a new iPhone or its lost, stolen or destroyed you just log back into iCloud with your new iPhone and it updates your new phone will look just like your old one (software wise).

However not everything is always perfect. There is always the chance something goes wrong so also having a back up on a computer is a good thing to have. Also Apple only gives you 5 gb in iCloud storage, once you exceed that you'll need to pay a subscription for more, par for the course I guess.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks, this helps.

iCloud Backup is a vague term but its the backup of personal data and settings to Apples Cloud service.
Is there some way to only selectively backup applications? While restoring from a backup I would like to get back only data, and just freshly setup app settings.

Also, when I turn on backup of Photos can I access pictures by logging into Safari from my Mac? That way I can just download those pictures directly on to my external HDD.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.