Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planetexpress

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Zurich, Switzerland
So I was on iOS 17 beta and had the issue that I could not cloud backup anymore.

Deleted the backups, tried again, switched the feature off and on and still backups are not working telling me there is not enough space (but cloud is almost empty now and on iOS 16 backups worked). Also I am not backing up photos library.

Now I thought it is some kind of bug, but on iOS 17 public beta there is the same issue.

How do I fix this?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
So I was on iOS 17 beta and had the issue that I could not cloud backup anymore.

Deleted the backups, tried again, switched the feature off and on and still backups are not working telling me there is not enough space (but cloud is almost empty now and on iOS 16 backups worked). Also I am not backing up photos library.

Now I thought it is some kind of bug, but on iOS 17 public beta there is the same issue.

How do I fix this?

You report the issue and wait it out. You’ve already reported it right?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Still won't back up for me on Beta 5. Last backup was July 25
I wouldn't gamble, make a local backup. I lost all my data on my iPhone, and couldn't restore to the recent backup since it never backed up for some reason on iOS 17, despite seeing iCloud alert me every time

Reactions: missingar

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I wouldn't gamble, make a local backup. I lost all my data on my iPhone, and couldn't restore to the recent backup since it never backed up for some reason on iOS 17, despite seeing iCloud alert me every time
I have a hackintosh that runs 24/7 with my phone wirelessly synced to it. I just switched off iCloud backups and switched to encrypted local backups for now.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I had a sideloaded app that was preventing backup. Deleted and the backup worked fine.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I have a hackintosh that runs 24/7 with my phone wirelessly synced to it. I just switched off iCloud backups and switched to encrypted local backups for now.
I completely forgot about wireless syncing with the Mac! Do you know how to access the device without it being on the sidebar? I don't want to have them always showing there.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, it is best to turn off iCloud backup and keep it off while running beta. If you don't, you could end up with corrupt, useless backup file that is of no good when trying to downgrade to the official release. The beta backups will over-write the previous stable OS backup.

Reactions: missingar

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I completely forgot about wireless syncing with the Mac! Do you know how to access the device without it being on the sidebar? I don't want to have them always showing there.
I just deleted a sideloaded version of YouTube i had installed and now it's backing up fine. But to answer your question, I don't think there's another way to access the device in Finder.

Reactions: symphony

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I just deleted a sideloaded version of YouTube i had installed and now it's backing up fine. But to answer your question, I don't think there's another way to access the device in Finder.
I don’t use any side loading apps, that’s interesting

Well after losing my data and going back to iOS 17, iCloud backups work normally again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.