Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you ever want to part with that 17" I actually have all the stuff to make it work

Thanks, but I do still want to make it work.

I actually have a better body with a good(albeit glossy) screen and have transplanted the logic board into it. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way I blew the LVDS fuse so have no backlight. I've had too many "irons in the fire" so haven't fixed that yet.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
My A1139 PowerBook G4 (17" DL-SD, 1,67 GHz, 2 GB RAM). 5 years ago I needed a laptop with a big screen and because I couldn't afford a new one I bought this PowerBook. It was my mobile workstation (graphic design) for a couple of years.

powerbook.jpg

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My A1139 PowerBook G4 (17" DL-SD, 1,67 GHz, 2 GB RAM). 5 years ago I needed a laptop with a big screen and because I couldn't afford a new one I bought this PowerBook. It was my mobile workstation (graphic design) for a couple of years.

View attachment 620101
Would you mind sharing those wallpapers? They look amazing!

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Now I want a 17" just so I can join this club!

Unfortunately, after my move, I barely have room for my mini and LED Cinema Display. I'm thinking to use the PM I'll have to put the mini in the closet out of the way.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
17" MBP at work today…tested and solved my problem of backing up to my Quicksilver at home.

Time Machine backups from anywhere now. :D

2016-05-06 14.48.09.jpg

Reactions: Ih8reno

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Club 17 just got even faster! Found a great deal locally for an ssd and thought why not :) 120gb ssd in my 1st gen Macbook Pro 17inch makes this baby fly! Now to fix the backlight keyboard. Very uneven unfortunately and may need a replacement.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
The 17" PBG4/MBP was arguably the best laptop ever made on the face of the planet (imo). They just seemed to be the perfect professional's tool from photographers, video editors, 3D modelers to audio engineers.

I remember desperately wanting to get one in 2003 for college but only being able to afford an iBook G4. Never have found one worth getting on the used market. I used a 2010 era 17" MBP at work but had to turn it in when I landed a new gig...I was beyond mystified in 2012 when the line was killed.

I finally picked up a mint condition L'11 Matte last year but on a whim recently sold it to pick up another  toy and pay down some debt. I've regretted that decision ever since.

IMG_3444.jpg

Can you imagine how beautiful the unit would be these days with a retina screen...wowza. I would love to get back in the club!

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I finally picked up a mint condition Late 2011 Matte last year but on a whim recently sold it to pick up another  toy and pay down some debt. I've regretted that decision ever since.

Can you imagine how beautiful the unit would be these days with a retina screen...wowza.

I've never had a working 17" Unibody with a matte screen(or a working 17" uni at all, for that matter) but my main computer is a 2012 15" with the HR-AG screen.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous, and I find it hard to use the "glass" screen on my 13" MBP or even the glossy screens on older Macbooks and current Airs. The PPI on the HR-AG screen is the same as the 13" air, but the MBP screen looks SO much better IMO.

Reactions: rawweb

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I need to get in this club. I'm a traveling teacher and it'd be put to use IMMEDIATELY as an iTunes jukebox for my classrooms. I don't need something that has Pod or Pad attached to it either, because it's not as friendly as a real laptop.

to eBay!!!!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
#Apple #Mac laptop
double panic kernel trap
Mountain Lion Pickle cat
paw claw revelation
#pressandholdthepowerbutton

BVUMI8rCUAANS2d.jpg:large

– the corner of a 17" early 2009 MacBookPro5,2.

In lieu of the original hard disk drive, which failed suddenly and completely, there's a solid state hybrid drive.

At the weekend it became non-bootworthy. I don't plan to replace the drive – it will not be cost-effective – but I'll keep the Mac for demonstration purposes; the nature of the failure may be a perfect example of why Apple should add verifiable integrity of data to its plans for APFS (I'll add to that topic after data has been scrubbed …).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.