Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
went to the apple store today just to mess with the 3G phone (i have no intention of upgrading for a while). i wanted to do a side by side Edge vs. 3G comparison when i remembered that there's probably still no 3G coverage where the store is located. i figured i'd just ask about 3G coverage in the area just to see what the employees would say. Three different employees had no clue. One had to ask another. This is a simple, basic thing that all store employees should know. Either they are just clueless fools or are told to act dumb to hide the fact that there is no coverage in the area.

jdcrow711

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
DC
my personal iphone salesperson informed me the rocker switch on the side (silent/ringer) was the airplane mode switch....

brilliant young man.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
I had the opposite experience. The AT&T map shows no 3G anywhere near here but the guy at the store said he was sure they did because it turns out he lives up the street from me and he has it at home and a nearby theater. He was a very nice guy, informative, straightforward with costs and everything, nothing like the scumbags that work at the mall store. So I walked out with the phone, got home and sure enough, 3G. It's not very fast yet but it is here. He also managed to activate it in the store while, apparently, no one else could. Considering what I've gotten used to over the past few years at Sprint and T-Mobile, I was very impressed.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
my personal iphone salesperson informed me the rocker switch on the side (silent/ringer) was the airplane mode switch....

brilliant young man.

Thats AWSOME !! ! ! :D

I actually NEED that function because I like to turn my phone "OFF" alot. Seriously.

They call it a "silent/ring" switch. Now if it would only really be a no/ring switch, instead of an actual vibrate/ring, I'd be thrilled.

Their vibrate really isn't silent by ANY means. I can hear it across the room at my house, and everybody can hear it while Im in meetings, when at work. Vibrate seems to be a soft ring.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
i wanted to do a side by side Edge vs. 3G comparison when i remembered that there's probably still no 3G coverage where the store is located.
Why did you even have to ask an employee? If you look at the iPhones on the display table and they say '3G' at the top of the screen (next to 'AT&T'), then there's 3G coverage, at least in the store.

The stores have never had any coverage information, other than to point the customer asking to the AT&T website.

Now if it would only really be a "silent-or-no"/ring mode, instead of a vibrate/ring.

Their vibrate really isnt silent by ANY means.
If you go into Settings > Sounds and at the top of the screen, turn that Vibrate to off, it shouldn't vibrate when in Silent mode.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
went to the apple store today just to mess with the 3G phone (i have no intention of upgrading for a while). i wanted to do a side by side Edge vs. 3G comparison when i remembered that there's probably still no 3G coverage where the store is located. i figured i'd just ask about 3G coverage in the area just to see what the employees would say. Three different employees had no clue. One had to ask another. This is a simple, basic thing that all store employees should know. Either they are just clueless fools or are told to act dumb to hide the fact that there is no coverage in the area.
You must understand that they sell apple products not att wireless service. They are only train to know F.A.Q and also probably the plan pricing not anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.