Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'm currently experiencing some issues with my cMBP 2012 13'' (base config, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.11.2), which I cannot get resolved by cleanly reinstalling OS X. I tried resetting NVRAM and SMC, and did not enter an Apple ID to prevent cloud-based settings to be loaded.

1. Superdrive noise.
I removed my Superdrive a few months after I received the MacBook in 2012, to install a second hard drive. I remember the Superdrive to make noise when starting up my MacBook. I reinstalled the Superdrive a few weeks ago, when I received a 1TB Samsung SSD 850 Evo, and thus no longer needed the dual hard drive setup. Everything works as usual, however, I now get Superdrive noise more frequently, especially while waking the MacBook from a prolonged sleep. This is really not helpful, as the noise confuses my fellow students in lectures and in the library. After the above steps, the noise remains. Is this normal behavior, e.g. after installing an OS newer than Lion (the original shipping OS)?

2. Bluetooth issues.
I have some Bluetooth issues. Disabling Bluetooth often doesn't work, as I get a spinning wheel and nothing happens. Trying a few times mostly works, sometimes however, I have to restart the MacBook. Also, Handoff only works sometimes, and disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth solves this problem.

3. Battery.
My battery has about 240 loadcycles, however capacity dropped to a mere 76%, and is keeps falling at a faster rate.

4. Keyboard.
My keyboard doesn't recognize input sometimes. When pressing buttons for about 15-20 seconds, the last few presses are recognized.

5. External displays.
I have bought a Dell U2515H monitor with 2560x1440 resolution. According to the specs, my MacBook should support this resolution, but it doesn't. (See this thread.) I tried another U2515H display, which also doesn't work. I tried another MacBook, everything worked.

As I wrote, all of these issues could not be resolved by a clean reinstall and by resetting NVRAM/SMC. Is there anything more I can do, or is this machine doomed to be replaced very soon?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.