Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnddave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2023
Hello folks,

I did the 'search for an answer' already but either I'm the first (unlikely) or I'm incapable of constructing a good search term (definitely possible)...

I have a cMP 2,1 and I want to install Linux to it. Now I know this particular beast has some design features that add extra work to this (thankyou 32bit efi) so I've spent most of my time so far working with the images from https://mattgadient.com/ without success.

So this is where I am at the moment. I have a Linux Image (prepared by Matt as per above link), I've inserted the DVD and restarted, using option to get to the boot screen, I see the image of a CD/DVD (claiming to be Windows) and I've selected.

The disc spins up and then I get a the follow three logo's flashing in a random sequence* (definitely not sequential, but probably not really random either):

• Apple Logo
  • Stop Sign
  • Folder with Question mark
Typically I might expect this if the source did not have a bootable OS, yet I have tried pretty much every image on Matt's website, I've tried 2 different DVD burners, I've tried 3 different burning apps, I've even tried both DVD+R and DVD-R discs.

At a loss, unsure of the reason or how I might troubleshoot further and wonder if someone can point me to an existing thread that contains the solution or perhaps give me some tips on further narrowing down what might be the cause here?

rnddave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2023
Are you using IDE DVD drives? I seem to remember that there's something non-standard about those 2 SATA ports.
You are a genius!

Whilst I had used 2 different burners in 2 different machines to create the discs, the machine that I was trying to install Linux to did indeed have the SATA DVD drive. I quickly pulled the IDE drive from another machine, got it all hooked up and tried again, I now have Linux installed and working as my main OS on the cMP 2,1

Really grateful for your input.

Reactions: moongravy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.