Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoWright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
Hi there,

I was hoping if someone could tell me if about 85°C is an okay temperature to have for my CPUs, while i am playing games on the mac (that is via Parallels Desktop VM). The temperature does already nearly hit 80°C just when starting the VM. Does that indicate that I should use new thermal paste?
The idle temps are around 50°C without VM running.

Thank you in advance

Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Radeon RX 580 8 GB - 250 GB SATA SSD, 4 TB + 2 TB HDD - Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd say so. Parallels itself consumes a lot of CPU resources, then you're adding on the OS and the game itself.

You'll know when it's too much - the Mac will simply shut off on you.

Maybe someone else has a more informed opinion.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Maybe it's the time to think about water-cooling your MP.
Using an open-air 20L external reservoir and AC pump, it would be easy to get your CPU temp to 45~46 degrees Celcius, when ambient temperature stay at 30~33 degrees.

Reactions: LoWright

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I have a 5,1 Mac Pro with similar upgrades. Just checked, mine idles at 40°C, I turned the fans a little bit higher with Macs Fan Control though. It runs at 65°C when playing Pillars of Eternity II (that's without Parallels - CPU is at 250% while playing acording to Activity Monitor).

Reactions: LoWright

LoWright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
Thanks a lot, ya'll. I'm not capable of installing a watercooling system, but i was anyways regarding the option to maybe get my hands on a windows machine for gaming.
Appreciate your help!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks a lot, ya'll. I'm not capable of installing a watercooling system, but i was anyways regarding the option to maybe get my hands on a windows machine for gaming.
Why don't you install Windows natively on the Mac Pro and use that installation for gaming? Parallels just adds unnecessary overhead in that case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.