Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Ok. I've used search for some time now about the APFS development across Apple OSses.

I've read Tsialexs comments earlier on too, and haven't found all the information I was looking for to be sure. So I have to ask (maybe this should be a topic of it's own: And now it is, deleted the other OT post of mine).

What kind of procedure would be the best to move my work machine from cMP 2010 Mojave APFS to tcMP 2013 Big Sur APFS ?

I've done it already, at least partly, as a clean install + user transition + apps. It was succesfull, ok. But it's not on par with my new app collection at cMP.

I remember there might be a culprit with APFS transitions between Mojave and Big Sur. The specs have changed all along the way. Just can't remember what and when it was, and how it could be avoided / corrected / secured.

My task: From cMP 2010 Mojave to tcMP 2013 Big Sur. Transitioning both the user and apps too if no harm in between would happen this way. I could install all from scratch of course. But I would opt not to do that because of all the necessary time it would take overall.

I'll be more spesific.
1) Move the drive from cMP to tcMP. Be done with it (or not).
2) clone the cMP drive and transfer it physically to tcMP. This is the one I'm suspecting is the wrong way regarding APFS along the way of changes within it.
3) install Big Sur from scratch in tcMP and move the user and apps to it from cMP (that's what I did once already).

Last edited:

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
It sounds like you used Migration Assistant to transfer from your 2010 Mac Pro to the 2013 Mac Pro. What problems did you have when doing this?

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Yes I migrated with Apples assistant. I just would want to use the newish NVMe from my cMP in a tcMP.
I guess I better wipe it, install Big Sur and migrate again. The long way that is. It took hours if I remember it right.

I was just wondering if there was a way to update and modernize APFS filesystem on the fly to the latest incarnation of it. But I guess there's not.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes I migrated with Apples assistant. I just would want to use the newish NVMe from my cMP in a tcMP.
I guess I better wipe it, install Big Sur and migrate again. The long way that is. It took hours if I remember it right.

I was just wondering if there was a way to update and modernize APFS filesystem on the fly to the latest incarnation of it. But I guess there's not.
Clone the drive, put the clone inside the nMP 6,1 and update it from Mojave to Big Sur.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Thanks.
I'm just a little bit confused that it is the best way to do it. But maybe I just did not catch the necessary tidbits and did not comprehend all that there is to it.

Can't remember it everything, and the bits and pieces are spread over few different topics out there. Some bits can be seen with searching for example: Tsialex + APFS

Finally I decided to use a fresh NVMe for this, format it in Big Sur, install latest Big Sur, and migrate the user from Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.