Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Hey folks,

the rear exhaust fan of my cMP 4,1 started to rattle and make noises. Therefore I'd like to replace it. I found some used cMP fans on ebay and was wondering if I can use a 3,1 exhaust fan as well? Are they interchangeable? The design looks very similar.

Thanks.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey folks,

the rear exhaust fan of my cMP 4,1 started to rattle and make noises. Therefore I'd like to replace it. I found some used cMP fans on ebay and was wondering if I can use a 3,1 exhaust fan as well? Are they interchangeable? The design looks very similar.

Thanks.
Don't know if this can help you, but took a look at my MP3,1 intake fan assembly, it's the same Delta part number AFB1212HHE as the MP4,1 intake/exhaust fan. Didn't had a look at the MP3,1 exhaust fan, don't have any out of my Macs.

Maybe someone has the exhaust fan outside and can confirm the part number.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Thank you very much for your input. So there may be a chance, that the exhaust fan also matches the part number of the MP4,1.

The main issue that holds me back is the clip. The MP4,1 fan is connected to the CPU cage with a big clip on the top of the fan. So far I haven't seen this such a clip on the other fans. Just some small clips on the side.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you very much for your input. So there may be a chance, that the exhaust fan also matches the part number of the MP4,1.

The main issue that holds me back is the clip. The MP4,1 fan is connected to the CPU cage with a big clip on the top of the fan. So far I haven't seen this such a clip on the other fans. Just some small clips on the side.
I could be wrong, but the fan is the same, what change is just the assembly. I'll take a look tonight.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
I'm also a little bit confused about the part numbers. The 4,1 fan itself has 818-0009 written on the inside and AFB1212HHE on the sticker. A lot of spare parts reseller however use 922-8886. So these different numbers are all the same fan?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
AFB1212HHE is the OEM (Delta) part number. Apple Part number is the one below it. MP3,1 intake fan assembly have two AFB1212HHE fans. Seems that AFB1212HHE from the MP3,1 are identical to the AFB1212HHE fan used on the MP4,1 intake, just different assemblies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.