Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Does anyone have this configuration working with High Sierra? And if so, how did you install it successfully?

I'm running an Early 2009 Mac Pro with upgraded processors, memory and an RX 480 video card with Sierra and when I run the beta installer it never succeeds with the installation. I proceed as the installer instructs with a shutdown. I then hold the power button until the power light flashes rapidly and upon release a loud and long sound plays to indicate firmware update. After allowing this to proceed for some minutes, the system works for another few minutes and then 10.12.6 starts right back up and I get the same Install macOS screen again as when I first started:

Image%202017-08-15%20at%201.39.18%20AM.png

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
You must have an Apple efi card installed to complete the firmware update—the update will not proceed with a RX480.

applCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
You must have an Apple efi card installed to complete the firmware update—the update will not proceed with a RX480.

Yes, you're spot on @nekton1. Thanks. I had to put my old video card back in and once I did that installation proceeded.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I have been able to update to Beta 5 and 6, I don't get the request to do the firmware update on my 5.1 Mac Pro. When I look on software updates it doesn't have anything there now.
Is there a way to download the firmware update?

applCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The firmware update came through the ß5 download for me (I accidentally grabbed it yesterday before it came up so I had to update to 6 afterwards). I don't know of any way to download the firmware from an ancillary site atm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.