Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goran08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
Hope that someone can help with some issues I have with installing Monterey on my 5.1 from 2012. Using Opencore 0.6.2.

- cannot complete installation on NVMe M.2 hdd on PCIe card in second (GPU is in the first) PCIe slot/lane. It goes for some time (progress bar showing) then reboots and continue rebooting with no end. I have Mojave on a similar NVMe (Samsung EVO 870) in fourth slot and it works fine. Monterey installation on SATA connected SSD worked and completed with no issues. But I want to install Monterery on NVMe, it much much faster than SSD.

- WiFi (original Apple card) works (I can see available SSIDs) but cannot connect. It does not ask for the password.
- I cannot get microphone and camera in my Cinema display to work. I have a USB3 card installed in third PCIe slot (Cinema USB is connected to this USB card) - may this card be the problem?

Everything else is working really good.

It's a 2012 cMP with 2x3.33 processors, 64gb RAM and mac-flashed GTX680.

Thanks in advance!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hope that someone can help with some issues I have with installing Monterey on my 5.1 from 2012. Using Opencore 0.6.2.

- cannot complete installation on NVMe M.2 hdd on PCIe card in second (GPU is in the first) PCIe slot/lane. It goes for some time (progress bar showing) then reboots and continue rebooting with no end. I have Mojave on a similar NVMe (Samsung EVO 870) in fourth slot and it works fine. Monterey installation on SATA connected SSD worked and completed with no issues. But I want to install Monterery on NVMe, it much much faster than SSD.

- WiFi (original Apple card) works (I can see available SSIDs) but cannot connect. It does not ask for the password.
- I cannot get microphone and camera in my Cinema display to work. I have a USB3 card installed in third PCIe slot (Cinema USB is connected to this USB card) - may this card be the problem?

Everything else is working really good.

It's a 2012 cMP with 2x3.33 processors, 64gb RAM and mac-flashed GTX680.

Thanks in advance!
Not quite sure what the problem is, I am not OCLP user. And aparently you know how to do it correctly, because you can install Monterey on the SATA SSD.

But for info, there should be little to no difference to run Monterey on NVMe / SATA SSD. It's mainly the 4K random read QD1 performance to define the system responsiveness, not the sequential speed.

Use the NVMe as project drive, but keep the SATA SSD as the boot drive make more sense in general.

Anyway, I assume your cMP's bootROM version is 144.0.0.0.0. And you know / tested that NVMe is bootable on the cMP, is that correct?

Last edited:

Goran08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
Not quite sure what's the problem, I am not OCLP user. And aparently you know how to do it correctly, because you can install Monterey on the SATA SSD.

But for info, there should be little to no difference to run Monterey on NVMe / SATA SSD. It's mainly the 4K random read QD1 performance to define the system responsiveness, not the sequential speed.

Use the NVMe as project drive, but keep the SATA SSD as the boot drive make more sense in general.

Anyway, I assume your cMP's bootROM version is 144.0.0.0.0. And you know / tested that NVMe is bootable on the cMP, is that correct?
Yes, bootROM is updated, otherwise I would not be able to install Mojave.

I think that the PCIe USB card is the culprit. I will try the same process once again but without that card.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, bootROM is updated, otherwise I would not be able to install Mojave.

I think that the PCIe USB card is the culprit. I will try the same process once again but without that card.
When you install OCLP Monterey onto the SATA SSD, the PCIe USB card wasn't there?

Goran08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
When you install OCLP Monterey onto the SATA SSD, the PCIe USB card wasn't there?
Yes, it was there. But the installation disk was connected to SATA, not PCIe. The NVMe disk is mounted on a PCIe adapter and I think that USB card also connected to another PCIe slot is interfering with the installation in some way. I cannot think of anything else that coul have caused this problem.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, it was there. But the installation disk was connected to SATA, not PCIe. The NVMe disk is mounted on a PCIe adapter and I think that USB card also connected to another PCIe slot is interfering with the installation in some way. I cannot think of anything else that coul have caused this problem.
Then I don't think the PCIe USB card is the issue.

Anyway, did you ever boot from that NVMe? If not, the NVMe may not be bootable at the beginning (or the associated adaptor is the problem).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.