Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
My cMP 5,1 (flashed 4,1) running High Sierra does not fully shut down. The screen darkens but the cursor stays on. When the screen darkens, cursor jumps to upper left corner and remains live. If left alone, it seems system or monitor will sleep and awaken when mouse is moved. Just started happening. Resetting SMC and NVRAM didn't help. Any ideas?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My cMP 5,1 (flashed 4,1) running High Sierra does not fully shut down. The screen darkens but the cursor stays on. When the screen darkens, cursor jumps to upper left corner and remains live. If left alone, it seems system or monitor will sleep and awaken when mouse is moved. Just started happening. Resetting SMC and NVRAM didn't help. Any ideas?
Did you tried doing a clean install into another drive, removing all other ones, and checking if the behaviour continues?

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Did you tried doing a clean install into another drive, removing all other ones, and checking if the behaviour continues?
Thanks for reply.Didn't try this. It had already been running High Sierra. Remove all internal drives, including dvd? If doing a clean install onto a new drive, will I need to manually move all data?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for reply.Didn't try this. It had already been running High Sierra. Remove all internal drives, including dvd? If doing a clean install onto a new drive, will I need to manually move all data?
DVD can stay. For start, just do a clean install to troubleshoot.

If after the clean install the problem goes away, then you move all your files. If not, we can look at your BootROM.

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

If after the clean install the problem goes away, then you move all your files. If not, we can look at your BootROM.
It looks like the clean install worked. I didn't start from the new OS and try to shut down but the installer did several times, so I figured BootRom was OK. After installation was complete the setup wizard came up. Since I was not on my home LAN I just selected country and the no internet connection option. After the settings were made the migration tool came up and I pointed it to my old boot SSD. There were two users, which I set the password for and it's about halfway done bringing files over for the admin user. The last time I did a clean install was ages ago and I didn't remember the process completely. I'm hoping it brings all the files and settings over from the old boot disk in the same folder structure as on the old boot drive, so I'll know where everything is. Also hoping LAN settings come over too.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Everything is working fine now. After using it a bit, I can see that the clean install fixed all problems. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.