Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgentile92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 5,1 cMP. I installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU 8GB, firmware updated to 144.0.0.0, clean installed Mojave, and installed Opencore using Martin Lo's package. The GPU works fine but doesn't give me the boot picker. Did some reading on various thread topics related to this issue. I've tried toggling the little switch on the back and neither way gives me the boot picker. I've tried the Displayport, HDMI, and DVI ports, with 2 different monitors (separately). I got this card used online—I've read that sometimes the VBIOS may be modified for gaming/mining. How do I confirm if that's the case? Or is there something else that could be amiss?

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
You need a flashable gpu to get the boot picker, I don't think the rx580 can be flashed.

DMU

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You need a flashable gpu to get the boot picker, I don't think the rx580 can be flashed.

DMU
He use OpenCore's UEFI GOP boot picker, not the native Mac EFI UGA boot manager. RX580 can do that, many users doing that right now, and I personally also own a RX580 (factory ROM) can do that.

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my 5,1 cMP. I installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU 8GB, firmware updated to 144.0.0.0, clean installed Mojave, and installed Opencore using Martin Lo's package. The GPU works fine but doesn't give me the boot picker. Did some reading on various thread topics related to this issue. I've tried toggling the little switch on the back and neither way gives me the boot picker. I've tried the Displayport, HDMI, and DVI ports, with 2 different monitors (separately). I got this card used online—I've read that sometimes the VBIOS may be modified for gaming/mining. How do I confirm if that's the case? Or is there something else that could be amiss?
My suggestion is just go to TechPowerUp to download a ROM and flash that onto your card. Since your card is a dual ROM card, doing that is very safe (as long as you leave one of the ROM untouched). And that can also make sure the card boot from a factory ROM, but not any modded ROM that breaks the UEFI GOP.

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
OCLP never worked for me even with a a card with GOP.
Once i got a gt 680 and flashed it my 3,1 perfect with OCLP.

@sgentile92 go with his suggestion, he know way more than I do

sgentile92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
He use OpenCore's UEFI GOP boot picker, not the native Mac EFI UGA boot manager. RX580 can do that, many users doing that right now, and I personally also own a RX580 (factory ROM) can do that.

My suggestion is just go to TechPowerUp to download a ROM and flash that onto your card. Since your card is a dual ROM card, doing that is very safe (as long as you leave one of the ROM untouched). And that can also make sure the card boot from a factory ROM, but not any modded ROM that breaks the UEFI GOP.
Thanks for the suggestion. After doing some digging that's the solution that I arrived as as well. I don't have a windows machine to flash the GPU on, nor do i trust myself to do it correctly. The eBay seller ended up accepting the return. I combed through pages of eBay results looking for one that looks like it wasn't modified and used for crypto and ended up buying another GPU from another nice sounding eBay seller who says that they bought it new last year for gaming but simply don't have time due to kids. Here's hoping I have better luck with that one!

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.