Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Everything looks right.

Unless you told us the wrong CPU ident, I can't quite figure out why your memory stuck at 1066MHz.

Anyway, did you try reseat the DIMM yet? (also blow the slot to make sure it's dust free). It may not help, but nothing hurt to try.

Also, just to make sure, you performed 3x NVRAM reset in a roll (total heard 4 boot chimes).

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Images online of that Samsung part number don't have a heat spreader on them. Can you remove one of the spreaders and post a picture of the chipset on the module?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Get a USB Keyboard to perform the triple reset.
If you really cant and you are a little brave (cause every nvram flash can fail):

-BACKUP your rom and check it has 4MB, copy it to a safe place
-Flash the generic 144 rom mp51.fd extracted from a 10.14.6 Installer

You will lose serial number and Apple ID services wont work, but this is just a test. You will have an empty nvram without memory configs.

-If its working as expected flash back your backup, all should be as before.

Now we know its the memory configs in nvram and either you can try harder to get the Keyboard or you clean (or let clean) your Firmware by someone who can. I can do it in a basic way, or TSIAlex completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

Jedispirits

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2020
Get a USB Keyboard to perform the triple reset.
If you really cant and you are a little brave (cause every nvram flash can fail):

-BACKUP your rom and check it has 4MB, copy it to a safe place
-Flash the generic 144 rom mp51.fd extracted from a 10.14.6 Installer

You will lose serial number and Apple ID services wont work, but this is just a test. You will have an empty nvram without memory configs.

-If its working as expected flash back your backup, all should be as before.

Now we know its the memory configs in nvram and either you can try harder to get the Keyboard or you clean (or let clean) your Firmwware by someone who can. I can do it in a basic way, or TSIAlex completely.
Yes I could finally perform the triple reset with a Windows USB keyboard :)

Unfortunatelly it didn't work :(
[automerge]1581591202[/automerge]
Could be Xeon X5675 processors the problem? They have a low energy profile (its TDP is 95W and X5680/X5690 is 130W)

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Reading the list here and

It can run 1333 Memory.

Have you tried 2 memory sticks? Maybe changing the configuration will re trigger it.

Firmware is still a point, but a little bit risky.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Yes I could finally perform the triple reset with a Windows USB keyboard :)

Unfortunatelly it didn't work :(
[automerge]1581591202[/automerge]
Could be Xeon X5675 processors the problem? They have a low energy profile (its TDP is 95W and X5680/X5690 is 130W)

Have you tried to install any other compatible DDR3 1333 MHz ECC memory modules in your Mac ?

Perhaps you just got some failed modules .

Or maybe your processor upgraded Tray got damaged ... Did you upgrade the Tray yourself or did the previous owner do this ?

You stated you have a 2009 model with X5675s , but that was not a factory shipping configuration .

Jedispirits

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2020
Have you tried to install any other compatible DDR3 1333 MHz ECC memory modules in your Mac ?

Perhaps you just got some failed modules .

Or maybe your processor upgraded Tray got damaged ... Did you upgrade the Tray yourself or did the previous owner do this ?

You stated you have a 2009 model with X5675s , but that was not a factory shipping configuration .

Yes I did it all. I delided both CPUs and installed them, but It seems to work fine.

I will try to test my cMP with another 10600 RAM module. If I'm not wrong, I think I've got one of 2GB or 4GB

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Yes I did it all. I delided both CPUs and installed them, but It seems to work fine.

I will try to test my cMP with another 10600 RAM module. If I'm not wrong, I think I've got one of 2GB or 4GB

Yes , testing with another model of module would be a very good idea to determine if this feature of your processors is working . Also , all it takes is one failing module to force the entire Mac to operate at 1066 MHz .

If some other 1333 MHz rated module operates at 1066 MHz , then we're closer to a diagnosis .

If something doesn't have a solid connection in the socket , due to a bent pin , particulate contamination , a worn or missing land ( gold dot ) on your processor , you might not have all the processor features . It's a rare event , but would explain your situation .

Jedispirits

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2020
Yes , testing with another model of module would be a very good idea to determine if this feature of your processors is working . Also , all it takes is one failing module to force the entire Mac to operate at 1066 MHz .

If some other 1333 MHz rated module operates at 1066 MHz , then we're closer to a diagnosis .

If something doesn't have a solid connection in the socket , due to a bent pin , particulate contamination , a worn or missing land ( gold dot ) on your processor , you might not have all the processor features . It's a rare event , but would explain your situation .

OK it seems that the CPUs or the equip is not the problem :)

I installed this RAM module (see picture) and it worked perfect.... 1333 speed ?
[automerge]1581669723[/automerge]
Images online of that Samsung part number don't have a heat spreader on them. Can you remove one of the spreaders and post a picture of the chipset on the module?

Now I will try to remove the heat spreader to see the inner chipset and I will tell.....
[automerge]1581669763[/automerge]

Attachments

• IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2716.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 246

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
OK it seems that the CPUs or the equip is not the problem :)

I installed this RAM module (see picture) and it worked perfect.... 1333 speed ?
[automerge]1581669723[/automerge]

Now I will try to remove the heat spreader to see the inner chipset and I will tell.....
[automerge]1581669763[/automerge]

Ok, what happens if you install only one of your ram?

Then two, and so on...

Btw you cannot mix this 1gb e-ram with your r-types.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Just rolled the dice on this, hopefully should work!

/edit. 5.1 firmware cMp dual 3.46, Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0. Running Mojave still. Pulling all my old (8x4) ram and planning on replacing with this kit.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
why there are 4 GB Sticks mixed in the product photo ?
I asked in advance about that and the seller acknowledged that the photo was incorrect, but the sale was for 16GB sticks.

/edit. Also I'm kind of pissed the seller dropped the price of the remaining items by $50 after I paid. He didn't, he only had 4 sticks left, I bought 6@$150. He's now selling 4@$100.

Last edited:

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Just an update. The sticks I ordered in the above post came over the weekend, installed all 6 and am now happily running 96GB without issue. 6 sticks of M393B2G70QH0-YK0Q9 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L 12800R DDR3 RAM.

Running at 1333, triple channel mode, ECC.

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Just an update. The sticks I ordered in the above post came over the weekend, installed all 6 and am now happily running 96GB without issue. 6 sticks of M393B2G70QH0-YK0Q9 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L 12800R DDR3 RAM.

Running at 1333, triple channel mode, ECC.

How are you liking the RAM so far? That same seller has another set of 6-16GB sticks, albeit at a slightly slower 10600R speed but wouldn’t really matter in terms of actual speed.

I currently have 16 gigs on my flashed 4,1 but I will be doing a CPU upgrade (X5570 to X5675) so the jump would surely be substantial. Just debating if it’s worth it/how yours is working out.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I mean it's RAM. The machine my sticks went in runs 24/7, and no issues so far. I had 32GB before and I though that was just barely enough, but after doing the upgrade I'm seeing increased ram usage in activity monitor. I run Rosetta@home for Covid research overnights, and during the day use a mix of Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. Since the update I've seen upwards of 80GB of app memory in use, with only 10-12GB of cached files so clearly the machine will put to use any additional memory you stick inside it.
Minor data point: I didn't do any before/after memory speed tests but if there was any speed boost in switching from all 8 slots in use (8x4GB) to 6 (6x16GB) it's not noticeable in my day to day use.

/edit. The memory I got does show Manufacturer codes, part numbers, and serials in the System information. They are all happily running at 1333 ECC.

/Edit 2. The Manufacturer code is 0x80CE if anyone cares.

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Thanks for the reply! I was interested in more of the buying secondhand aspect from eBay online so it’s great to hear that everything is running smoothly for you, especially 24/7

For me, I think I’ll get a huge performance boost from not only the 16 to 96 jump, but from the faster speeds as well. I do a lot of Premiere work which as we all know is RAM heavy so I think it’ll be especially worth it

Thanks for the info, I’ll be sure to watch the seller’s listings!

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
The seller I listed in my above post had great communication, and shipped within 24 hours. They are in San Diego California, so if you buy from them the arrival time will depend on how far you are from there.

Reactions: jvlfilms

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Perfect, thanks so much!! I’m on the east coast and have been taking this time to fully upgrade my Mac Pro 4,1 as a little project - have lots of time to wait so no worries, will definitely keep a lookout.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Perfect, thanks so much!! I’m on the east coast and have been taking this time to fully upgrade my Mac Pro 4,1 as a little project - have lots of time to wait so no worries, will definitely keep a lookout.
My machine also started life as something slower and was upgraded with a 3.47Ghz Xeon X5690 dual CPU tray. Fans run a little more under load but overall it's been pretty solid for the last 5 years or so. GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD/NVME, USB3 upgrades have made the cMP one of (if not THE) best long term "Bang for buck" machines in Apple history.

Reactions: tommy chen

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
My machine also started life as something slower and was upgraded with a 3.47Ghz Xeon X5690 dual CPU tray. Fans run a little more under load but overall it's been pretty solid for the last 5 years or so. GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD/NVME, USB3 upgrades have made the cMP one of (if not THE) best long term "Bang for buck" machines in Apple history.

I 100% agree. My college was in the process of upgrading some of their older cMP systems to 6,1 so my professor was able to sell me a 4,1 with an Apple 30” cinema display for $75. I was extremely gracious but completely unaware of how upgradable this system actually is. I started with a PCIE SSD and USB 3 card and that kept me going until I decided to get myself a new MBP last year

But now I built myself a little gaming PC/Mac editing station with an RX 580, my new CPU being installed soon and (hopefully) 96GB of RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.