Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
UPDATE: SOLVED! Turns out the issue that kept dosdude1's Catalina Patcher from creating a bootable USB volume was Apple's SIP. If you too encounter this problem and you're sure your downloads are not corrupted, reboot your machine into recovery mode (hold down "Cmd-R" on reboot), open the Terminal and disable SIP with the command "csrutil disable" (obviously, hit enter afterwards), then boot back into your current OS and create the bootable Catalina installer

Original post follows ------------------------------------

Hive mind,

I've run into a problem that's got me completely stuck - I installed Catalina on an old SATA SSD (Samsung 840 Pro) using dosdude1's fabulous patcher. The machine (*) will boot Catalina just fine using the original Radeon 5770 but as soon as I put the 580 (**) back in, the machine gets stuck with a black screen and the display complaining about "No signal".

I've tried all the usual... reset NVRAM ("Cmd-Opt-P-R" on boot), unplug everything but the 10.15 drive, etc. but I simply can't get the machine to boot with the 580 running Catalina.

Any pointers, tips, etc. I'd be most grateful for! ?

Thanks!

* – Mid-2010 cMP 5,1 single hex-core CPU @ 3.46GHz, latest firmware

** – This is the card I've got, it's been rock solid under Mojave. No boot screen, obviously but it works perfectly under any version of macOS 10.14: Sapphire 11265-01-20G Radeon Nitro+ Rx 580 8GB

81-IUmu-Ist2-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

Last edited:

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Well, looks like I'm a step closer to what may be going on.

On a whim I checked the version numbers of the AMD-related extensions on my dosdude1-patched Catalina drive, and wouldn't you believe it, they are old. Really, really old (way older than 10.14.6 at any rate) and it would seem therefore incompatible with my RX 580.

Any of you guys aware whether this is a known issue with dosdude1's patcher?
(I'm using dosdude1's Catalina Patcher v.1.3.0 from 12/10/19 with a freshly downloaded Catalina Installer v.15.3.00)

Here's a screenshot of the version numbers inside my Mojave (10.14.6) "System/Library/Extensions/" folder, everything hovering around version 2.11.21...

And here's another one of the same inside my dosdude1-Catalina (10.15.3) drive, mixed versions 3.5.5 with 1.66.42...

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Not directly related to your problem, but did you ever tried OpenCore and vanilla (non-patched) Catalina? OpenCore now provide a text boot screen to select drives with GOP GPUs like your RX 580, read more here OpenCore on the Mac Pro.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 23.40.45.png

I don't use dosdude patcher, but from your screenshot maybe you selected the unsupported GPU patch?

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Thanks much for the reply, tsialex! I had initially shied away from OpenCore because of the rather complex installation and was hoping dosdude1's Patcher would be the quickest way to evaluate whether I'll be nursing along my cMP for another year.

I don't think I did, but it's of course possible that I chose an incorrect option during the installation.

What is really, really weird though is that I have never been able to create a bootable USB device (various sticks, SSD or spinner) with Catalina Patcher that would boot my cMP.

I had to put my Catalina drive inside a USB enclosure and run the 10.15 installation from my MacBook Air (*). Then I put the installed Catalina drive back in the cMP and encountered the problem described in my 1st post above... boots w/5770, not w/RX580.

Who knows, perhaps dosdude1 will even see this thread... ?

(* – I am 100% sure I chose to apply patches for cMP, not the MBA because I remember changing the patcher's machine-drop-down to "Mac Pro")

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Verify your Mac Pro has boot ROM version 144.0.0.0.0 .

Download the latest version of dosdude's patch ( currently 1.3.0 ) .

follow his video tutorial for making an USB installer .

I used an EFI GT 120 as the only installed GPU to install 10.15.x onto an internal SATA SSD in my MP5,1 .

Then removed the GT 120 and installed the official Mojave MSi RX 560 .

Works as great as can be expected for an unsupported machine .

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You better re-install your Catalina from fresh.

This time, completely avoid the 5770, and only use the RX580 to boot Dosdude Catalina installer. You can select that USB installer as next boot drive in system preference -> start up disk.

Reactions: MIKX

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Thx for the replies guys, much appreciated! My cMP does have the latest Boot ROM, and I used the latest version of dosdude1's Patcher (1.3.0). Followed the video tutorial, etc. but no joy.

I got yet a little bit further by trying for what feels like the umpteenth attempt to create a bootable USB installer. This time the machine did boot from the USB stick (SanDisk 64GB, brand new) I created with Catalina Patcher, but ultimately everything stopped at this point when I tried to launch the installer...

macos-catalina-dosdude1-error.jpg

And before someone suspects "It's your Catalina installation apps, they're corrupted"... I've got three downloaded copies of "Install macOS Catalina.app" here and each of the respective SHA1 checksums for both "Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" and "Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg" are identical to the ones listed on notpeter's Github page.

Code:
6ac088372d0bf0286d24ce55d9f0eb14a81d91c3 (InstallESD.dmg)
Code:
4bd9c601d42186904191f8095b8eca5d70fcf679 (BaseSystem.dmg)

This unsuccessful attempt was with the RX580 installed. Will try the installation again tomorrow with yet another freshly created bootable installer using the old 5770. That's one variety I haven't tried yet. For some reason, I thought you had to be running a metal capable GPU to install Catalina - that is correct, right?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thx for the replies guys, much appreciated! My cMP does have the latest Boot ROM, and I used the latest version of dosdude1's Patcher (1.3.0). Followed the video tutorial, etc. but no joy.

I got yet a little bit further by trying for what feels like the umpteenth attempt to create a bootable USB installer. This time the machine did boot from the USB stick (SanDisk 64GB, brand new) I created with Catalina Patcher, but ultimately everything stopped at this point when I tried to launch the installer...

And before someone suspects "It's your Catalina installation apps, they're corrupted"... I've got three downloaded copies of "Install macOS Catalina.app" here and each of the respective SHA1 checksums for both "Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" and "Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg" are identical to the ones listed on notpeter's Github page.

Code:
Code:

This unsuccessful attempt was with the RX580 installed. Will try the installation again tomorrow with yet another freshly created bootable installer using the old 5770. That's one variety I haven't tried yet. For some reason, I thought you had to be running a metal capable GPU to install Catalina - that is correct, right?
Your system date is correct? Signatures certificates don't work before or over a determined date, check your system date.

Yes, Catalina requires a METAL GPU - dosdude patcher remove this and several other requirements. Btw, you will get better help asking directly on the Catalina supported thread.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
^ Yep, date and time are both correct. Will try and ask in the other thread tomorrow - you mean the one you started last June, correct? (I've been following that one almost as long :) Thanks for trying to help - loads appreciated!

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
^ Done. Thanks again! ?

install Catalina with an EFI card . If your 5770 is an EFI card , then there should be no problem .

It must look like this :

download.jpeg

I used my 2009 Mac Pro's factory shipping card ( GT 120 ) to install Catalina without any issues .

Once installed , remove the EFI card and install a Metal GPU to run Catalina .

If you are having problems , then your Catalina install is corrupt . Only use OSes from an Apple server .

pinchu71

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008

Code:
Code:

Same problem.

Solved disabling SIP in my macpro via terminal then the usb installer works.

Now my 5,1 run smoothly in catalina with my rx580 pulse

Reactions: TrumanLA

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Solved disabling SIP in my macpro via terminal then the usb installer works.

ouch . That is such a common sense operation for me , I actually forgot to recommend it . Whenever possible , disable all security features when you install an OS or update firmware .

Reactions: TrumanLA

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Thanks guys - I had most of those bases (*) covered already. What I haven't done yet is to disable SIP, which is going to be an interesting exercise all by itself since I can't boot into Recovery Mode with my RX580 and I seriously doubt the non-Metal 5770 is going to allow me to boot into Mojave.

(Edit: Heh, looks like I **should** be able to boot into Recovery Mode despite the missing boot screen. Will have to try later once Catalina d/l is complete.)

Currently waiting for yet another download of Catalina from Apple's slow-as-molasses servers using the "installinstallmacos.py" method tsialex had recommended upthread.

Even though I seriously doubt the file size/checksum is going to be any different this time... after all, repeating the same experiment over and over and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

(* – verified downloads of Catalina installer and Patcher, the former from Apple's servers only, of course, etc.)

Last edited:

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks guys - I had most of those bases (*) covered already. What I haven't done yet is to disable SIP, which is going to be an interesting exercise all by itself since I can't boot into Recovery Mode with my RX580 and I seriously doubt the non-Metal 5770 is going to allow me to boot into Mojave.

(Edit: Heh, looks like I **should** be able to boot into Recovery Mode despite the missing boot screen. Will have to try later once Catalina d/l is complete.)

Oh , you already found out ...

Yes , you can use the EFI 5770 GPU in a cMP running Mojave to enter Recovery Mode to disable SIP and do lots of other cool things .

Reactions: effgee

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

Currently waiting for yet another download of Catalina from Apple's slow-as-molasses servers using the "installinstallmacos.py" method tsialex had recommended upthread.

Even though I seriously doubt the file size/checksum is going to be any different this time... after all, repeating the same experiment over and over and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

(* – verified downloads of Catalina installer and Patcher, the former from Apple's servers only, of course, etc.)
You can always use aria2c -s10 -x10 with the urls installinstallmacos.py are showing and then put the downloaded files at the folder it used, it will run at the maximum speed of your connection. I usually do this just for the InstallESD.pkg.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
For the damaged installer:
Certificate problems, set your system clock before 10-24-2019 or reload catalina installer.
It’s not exactly the problem, since 10.15.1 Apple used the renewed certificates. Date before October 24 will make the certificate invalid, but he told that the date is correct.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
HA! Finally got it to work!!! Looks like disabling SIP finally let me create a bootable installer - will edit OP upthread for other folks who encounter the same issue and stumble upon this thread.

Thanks a million guys, you saved me a crapton of time and headaches – y'all are the best!!

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

TrumanLA

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2017
USA

I know this is a really old remark, but, maybe it helps someone..?

Turn off automatically update time and date ... set the date to the month the version you're installing was released.
Then reboot ... it won't object to the installer anymore. :)

TrumanLA

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2017
USA
You can always use aria2c -s10 -x10 with the urls installinstallmacos.py are showing and then put the downloaded files at the folder it used, it will run at the maximum speed of your connection. I usually do this just for the InstallESD.pkg.
Hell. Trying that just to see if it really does. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.