Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dosa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
London
Has anyone else noticed that pdf files using CMYK colours are now rendering properly whereas previously the colours were garish at best or inverted at worst (google "iOS cmyk pdf" to see complaints)? I'm guessing this is new in 9.3 but perhaps I just haven't been paying attention.

This is huge for me as for years I've had to use Adobe Reader solely to view illustrated books and docs that other viewers using the Apple pdf renderer (e.g. iBooks or Good Reader) would mess up. It has always annoyed me that Apple with its focus on design has ignored this issue in iOS.

There are still very subtle differences between Adobe- & Apple-rendered images but the new Apple ones are perfectly acceptable.

NafetsX

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2016
Germany
Has anyone else noticed that pdf files using CMYK colours are now rendering properly whereas previously the colours were garish at best or inverted at worst (google "iOS cmyk pdf" to see complaints)? I'm guessing this is new in 9.3 but perhaps I just haven't been paying attention.

This is huge for me as for years I've had to use Adobe Reader solely to view illustrated books and docs that other viewers using the Apple pdf renderer (e.g. iBooks or Good Reader) would mess up. It has always annoyed me that Apple with its focus on design has ignored this issue in iOS.

There are still very subtle differences between Adobe- & Apple-rendered images but the new Apple ones are perfectly acceptable.
Yes I knew, read it in two german blogs.
http://www.macgenie.de/geheimes-feature-in-ios-9-3-richtiges-cmyk-rgb-farbprofile/
http://www.schimanke.com/archives/7...e-Darstellung-von-CMYK-Farben-in-iOS-9.3.html

And it seems, that Apple integrates the whole color management from OS X so not only cmyk is rendered in a standard profile (but does not recognize specific encapsulated cmyk profiles as OS X never did, too). But all integrated RGB Profiles are recognized well!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Glad to see this. My company proposals always had a few weird color oddities in prior versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.