Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Did anyone else catch CNBC's 'announcement' of Apples upcoming event that aired this am? I caught the last part of it when their guest tech analyst (I didn't catch who she was) said that along with the new iPhone the iPad Pro will also be announced at the September 9th event.

Did anyone see the whole segment? Who was she and did she mean to infer that it 'might' get announced?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

If the other iPads are updated on September 9th, and I think that at least the mini will (for 2 GB RAM + Split View), then Apple might go ahead and announce the iPad "Pro" on the same day. If the rumors about no iPad Air update are true (or if there is a minor iPad Air update), then Apple could still claim significant CPU and GPU performance increases in the iPad lineup with the iPad "Pro."

Reactions: Codeseven

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

If the other iPads are updated on September 9th, and I think that at least the mini will (for 2 GB RAM + Split View), then Apple might go ahead and announce the iPad "Pro" on the same day. If the rumors about no iPad Air update are true (or if there is a minor iPad Air update), then Apple could still claim significant CPU and GPU performance increases in the iPad lineup with the iPad "Pro."

Imagine if they had a normal iPad with 2gb and a pro with 3gb when it comes to RAM. Do you think that'd help them make it a pro device? Or do they need it at all?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think it's likely to be October when the iPads are usually updated. I'm personally waiting for the iPad Pro, because even if it's just a bigger iPad I will be getting one. However it could be the "one more thing" if Apple decide to do that kind of like they did with the Apple Watch last year. However there have been reports of the iPad Pro running IOS 9.1 which would point to an October or later release.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Imagine if they had a normal iPad with 2gb and a pro with 3gb when it comes to RAM. Do you think that'd help them make it a pro device? Or do they need it at all?
Good question.

I think it depends on whether or not Apple will focus on market segments previously untapped by the iPad lineup. If the iPad "Pro" (keep in mind that we don't know what it will be called) is just a bigger iPad Air, then I do not think that Apple will put more than 2 GB of RAM into it.

However, the rumors of the iPad "Pro" having stylus support, a USB-C port, and stereo speakers point to it being a larger jump than just an upscaled iPad Air 2. I suspect that Apple is targeting two (non-disjoint) groups of people with the iPad "Pro."
  1. Those who take notes or perform other tasks that require precise touchscreen usage.
  2. Those who require computers with more powerful hardware than an iPad Air 2.
The first group is served by the stylus. The second group can at least partially be served by a large spec jump, RAM included, from the iPad Air 2 to the iPad "Pro" that allows for new features or pro apps that were not feasible on previous iPads. Correspondingly, given the low amount of RAM that Apple likes to put in their iOS devices, I think that the iPad "Pro" will have more than 2 GB RAM only if the above scenario actually occurs. One example is a hypothetical 4-window Split View. If (2-window) Split View requires 2 GB RAM then perhaps 4-window Split View would require at least 3 GB RAM. A less silly hypothetical example is Apple's pro apps on iOS.

The hardware requirements for Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X are below (from the Apple web site). Other requirements are in grey.

Logic Pro X:
  • 4GB of RAM
  • Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher
  • OS X v10.9.5 or later
  • Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
  • Minimum 6GB of disk space. 49GB of optional content available via in-app download.
Final Cut Pro X:
  • OS X v10.10.2 or later
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D titles)
  • OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
  • 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D titles)
  • 4.15GB of disk space
My guess from last week regarding the iPad "Pro"'s specs are as follows:
  • 12.9" 2732x2048 (264 PPI) display
  • Force Touch
  • A9X SoC
  • 4 CPU cores, +30% over A8X
  • PowerVR Series 7XT GPU, 12 cores, 2x–2.5x GPU over A8X
  • 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM
  • X/64/128/256 GB storage, where X < 64
  • $Y/$699/$799/$999, where Y < $699.
Now, I do not assume that hypothetical iOS versions of Apple's pro apps will have the same hardware requirements as the Mac versions, or that these apps even run well at the minimum requirements. But if the iPad "Pro" ends up at least close to my guess, then I think it will be powerful enough so that Apple could make the pro apps work, if Apple was so inclined (most likely with some features removed from the apps).

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i know that ipad pro will not be wireless only, all of them will be wifi+3G/4G included and with the storages 64/128gb the tablet will start from at least 899$

ipad air 2 with 64gb storage wifi+cellular is 730$

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Theres been another guest on CNBC saying the likelihood is high of an iPad Pro announcement.

I'm gonna say there will be (fingers crossed :) )

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so we will see or not tomorrow the ipad pro ? all the latest rumours says that will be introduced and you can preorder in October and buy it in november

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Reactions: Codeseven
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.