Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
This article was posted a couple hours ago on CNN.

There's a lot of truth here particularly how so many made fun of the AirPods when they were first announced, and now they are completely engrained in society and represent at least 5% of Apple's total revenue with room to grow.

Many felt at first that people looked stupid wearing them. I read countless posts in these forums about how it was going to be a flop. I was an early adopter but even I had to get comfortable with the look. Now, a couple years later, it's totally a status symbol. Anyone would feel just fine walking in public with AirPods in the ears. And Apple is selling bucket loads of these things.

Apple doesn't always get things right but they certainly were ahead of the rest of the world when they went down this path. What seemed like a minor accessory for only the enthusiasts turned into a really big deal with multiple models and price points. Pretty impressive!

Reactions: ukms

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
They still look stupid but now we all look stupid together!

(not being an ass, I have them too)

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
They still look stupid but now we all look stupid together!

(not being an ass, I have them too)
It's all relative. I remember when seeing Bluetooth headsets of any kind in the wild was rare. I'd come across someone in a grocery store wearing the earpiece with the little boom mic sticking out and a blinking light on the end of it, talking loudly to the person on the other end while grabbing a box of cereal off the shelf. It was off-putting to see. Before Bluetooth, if you saw someone talking away with no one around them you just assumed they were mentally ill. It took some time for us all to adjust.

Then we got used to it and it became normal. But then Apple came along with their bright white earpieces that looked exactly like their wired headphones except without wires. It again took time to get accustomed to that look. Now it's as common as seeing someone wearing a hat.

Times change, and quickly at that!

Reactions: ukms
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.