Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdgdoom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
after months of complaining about how my cod2 ran with constant hiccups, i decided to bite the bullet and install xp on bootcamp.

i could not be so surprised, yet mad.

how is it that the same system can run a game so different just due to drivers.

in osx i would get 30 fps, no more than 40, sometimes as little as 5.

i made sure i used the same settings, same resolution, same everything.

win xp runs my cod on my stock 2.2 MBP at a whopping AND STABLE 125 fps.

if i'm running around by myself on a server, i get upwards of 240. when i'm in heavy action, never dips below 100 fps.

how can something this dramatic still be acceptable. apple knows there is a problem. FIX IT PLEASE. truth of the matter is, i prefer osx above any windows os, BUT this means that now i have to have both OS's installed...

superman666

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
One thing that pisses me off about the OSX drivers is the hicups. I know exactly what you mean about COD2. I have the 2.4 but experienced the same thing, it was around 40fps, with ugly hiccups that made the game crap. Even in WoW it happens (less noticable) and it really bothers me.

bdgdoom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
the funny thing is that, even when i play dumb flash games, you can notice small hiccups. my windows fanboy friends were making fun of my 2k purchase that cant even handle flash.

after i show them my findings, they wont be laughing.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Apple totally botched the 8600m drivers for the new MBPs. Every time I get hit with a grenade in Cod2, the game literally freezes for 30+ seconds. Combine that with the 20FPS at 1024x768, the game gets really old extremely quickly.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
heh the amusing thing is, those are pretty similar to the framerates I get on my year+ old 2.0ghz macbook... of course, I'm perfectly happy with those framerates since, after all, this thing wasn't exactly designed to play intense games....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.