Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaveSF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Hi-

On my rMBP (Bootcamp Win 8.1), COD Advanced Warfare only runs full screen at full native resolution (2880x1800), which is way too sluggish. I want to run it at, say, 1920x1200, but it runs as a small square in the center of the screen, not scaling to fullscreen like every other game does.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Hi David,

Set the Windows desktop resolution to your desired resolution then play. Let me know how performance is since I'm considering picking up a PS4 for House of CoD if the rMBP can't run it sufficiently.

MacDaveSF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Reducing Windows resolution to 1920x1200 first didn't work - the game still ran in a small window when selecting that resolution in-game.

However, after trying different combinations, I found that I was able to get the game to run full screen at 1920x1200 by selecting "borderless windowed mode" rather than Fullscreen. This works, regardless of the desktop resolution set in Windows. I assume this is some kind of a bug, but at least it's work-aroundable.

Performance seems decent at 1920x1200 on my late 2013 rMBP with GeForce GT 750M 2GB video. I haven't tweaked settings or tested frame rates, but it is certainly playable with the default settings suggested by the GeForce Experience app.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Reducing Windows resolution to 1920x1200 first didn't work - the game still ran in a small window when selecting that resolution in-game.

However, after trying different combinations, I found that I was able to get the game to run full screen at 1920x1200 by selecting "borderless windowed mode" rather than Fullscreen. This works, regardless of the desktop resolution set in Windows. I assume this is some kind of a bug, but at least it's work-aroundable.

Performance seems decent at 1920x1200 on my late 2013 rMBP with GeForce GT 750M 2GB video. I haven't tweaked settings or tested frame rates, but it is certainly playable with the default settings suggested by the GeForce Experience app.

I'm installing Windows on the same machine now. Can you comment on what you define as "playable?" Is it 60fps if all the settings are on low?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
At least that did end up working for you. Could you try playing on High? Personally I'm fine with 25fps+ at 1080p for the campaign.

MacDaveSF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Has anyone figure out a good combination of resolution and advanced graphics settings for COD AW on a rMBP?

The cutscenes are the biggest framerate problem, but I'm also finding that lower res's make the gameplay better...1280x800 seems to work pretty well. I've also changed the render resolution to "medium" instead of "native", but I'm not sure if that's necessary...

What are the optimal graphics settings for the rMBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 M 2GB?

vbedia

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Has anyone figure out a good combination of resolution and advanced graphics settings for COD AW on a rMBP?

The cutscenes are the biggest framerate problem, but I'm also finding that lower res's make the gameplay better...1280x800 seems to work pretty well. I've also changed the render resolution to "medium" instead of "native", but I'm not sure if that's necessary...

What are the optimal graphics settings for the rMBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 M 2GB?

That's the way it usually works; you lower the resolution then frames go up.

I've found myself 1280x800 a good resolution to play most games with good frames. I am playing recently Alien: Isolation even a bit higher resolution 1600x900 and it's all good.

The biggest issue i am having with this CoD: Warfare Advanced is its size; 55GB it's unacceptable to my SDD on my rMBP under windows 8.1. Just way too big.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That's the way it usually works; you lower the resolution then frames go up.

I've found myself 1280x800 a good resolution to play most games with good frames. I am playing recently Alien: Isolation even a bit higher resolution 1600x900 and it's all good.

The biggest issue i am having with this CoD: Warfare Advanced is its size; 55GB it's unacceptable to my SDD on my rMBP under windows 8.1. Just way too big.

Pick up a USB 3.0 HDD. I just put my Windows apps and games on that and keep the OS on the SSD.

Any consensus to the best settings COD: AW can be played at at 1080p? Looks like I'll be picking up a console though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.