Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jannikmeissner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
London, UK
Hi fellow MacRumors community members,

I have an issue with Git, maybe someone has an idea how to fix it.
Last night I finally got around to installing Big Sur 11.1 on my M1 MacBook Air, but now whenever I use the Git command in Terminal, it just outputs

zsh: killed git pull

I checked the logs in console and it seems to be a code signing issue

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid) Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000032, 0x0000000100a84000 Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x2

Googling the issue didn't lead anywhere; I am thinking to just reinstall macOS, but maybe someone here knows of a better / faster way?

I hope this is the right part of the forum to ask, but I think at least some of you will be able to relate to the pain I feel with this ?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Interesting. Do you have a custom version of git installed or something? how is git authenticating with the server it's supposed to pull from? Is it only pulls that result in this? Can you do local repo commands, check git log, etc?

jannikmeissner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
London, UK
Interesting. Do you have a custom version of git installed or something? how is git authenticating with the server it's supposed to pull from? Is it only pulls that result in this? Can you do local repo commands, check git log, etc?
Thanks for the questions. I am not using a custom version and any other git command results in the same error message and same error in the logs. I am using SSH to authenticate with this repo, but also local repos that aren't a clone of anything else don't le me interact at all. Even git --version returns the same error message. It worked fine last night, until I finally got around to installing the 11.1 update.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for the questions. I am not using a custom version and any other git command results in the same error message and same error in the logs. I am using SSH to authenticate with this repo, but also local repos that aren't a clone of anything else don't le me interact at all. Even git --version returns the same error message. It worked fine last night, until I finally got around to installing the 11.1 update.
Hm
If you run
which git

Do you get /usr/bin/git
?

If you do a sha256 checksum on the git executable does it look like this?
efd964bc182b16bda3ad3e9fdc89e6b2c3ca7a6e73a0639e56804c2055c92120 /usr/bin/git
(command sha256sum can return the checksum, but I'm not sure if it's standard or part of the coreutils package or something)

You could try to see if maybe manually code signing it with the codqsign command could do anything
What's your setting for Gatekeeper in System Preferences -> Security?

I'm thinking three options at the moment:
1)
Some malicious actor or software has inserted itself above the actual git command in your path and is trying to be executed instead of the actual git; Or perhaps has replaced the binary itself

2)
Certificate settings have gone wonky

3)
Something else... I mean there's always more options you haven't considered, haha

jannikmeissner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
London, UK
Hm
If you run
which git

Do you get /usr/bin/git
?

If you do a sha256 checksum on the git executable does it look like this?
efd964bc182b16bda3ad3e9fdc89e6b2c3ca7a6e73a0639e56804c2055c92120 /usr/bin/git
(command sha256sum can return the checksum, but I'm not sure if it's standard or part of the coreutils package or something)

You could try to see if maybe manually code signing it with the codqsign command could do anything
What's your setting for Gatekeeper in System Preferences -> Security?

I'm thinking three options at the moment:
1)
Some malicious actor or software has inserted itself above the actual git command in your path and is trying to be executed instead of the actual git; Or perhaps has replaced the binary itself

2)
Certificate settings have gone wonky

3)
Something else... I mean there's always more options you haven't considered, haha
You gave me the right idea (no idea why I didn't think of which). I hadn't noticed that homebrew installed a newer git version. After running
Bash:
brew remove git
it works again like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.