Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Hi,

I want to start developing OS X applications, I used to programme quite a lot but over the past couple of years I've not really touched any code - so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction (I've read the links in the stick thread, but none seem geared to what im after) in developing GUI Applications - just with a guide on how to get started, with then links to perhaps some decent books..

Anyone able to offer any advice/directions?

Thanks

[Edit]Oops, bit vague.. I'm not interested in Developing in Java as I can't really stand the language after having it rammed down my throat at Uni - i'm looking towards xcode - mainly for socket programming[/Edit]

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Curiously enough socket programming on the mac still relies on the C APIs (including the original BSD sockets API). There's not much in Cocoa that deals with networking. Of course there's nothing to stop you using the C APIs within an objective-C program.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Skid said:
Hi,

I want to start developing OS X applications, I used to programme quite a lot but over the past couple of years I've not really touched any code - so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction (I've read the links in the stick thread, but none seem geared to what im after) in developing GUI Applications - just with a guide on how to get started, with then links to perhaps some decent books..

Anyone able to offer any advice/directions?

Thanks

[Edit]Oops, bit vague.. I'm not interested in Developing in Java as I can't really stand the language after having it rammed down my throat at Uni - i'm looking towards xcode - mainly for socket programming[/Edit]
So, not really sure what you are looking for. Top part of your post mentions GUI programming, then your edit speaks to sockets.... Let us know what you are looking to do :confused:

Skid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
VanMac said:
So, not really sure what you are looking for. Top part of your post mentions GUI programming, then your edit speaks to sockets.... Let us know what you are looking to do :confused:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.. Basically, I've in the past created my own versions of software I've used as a means to complete personal challenges, and also add features that I'd like to see in them, etc.. I'd be looking to create some network based gui apps, for example off the top of my head an ftp client (yes, i know there's loads out there, but I'd still like to create my own, etc)

I'm really looking for some 'decent' book(s) that'll teach a new-comer to the object c style of coding, etc

Ta :)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Skid said:
I'm really looking for some 'decent' book(s) that'll teach a new-comer to the object c style of coding, etc
Most people agree that Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass is probably the best starter book for Cocoa. It gives a good background on the whole concept of Cocoa programming with particular attention to the GUI elements, and you will learn most of what you need about Objective-C on the way. However, I would probably start by reading Apple's Objective-C PDF (search for it at developer.apple.com). Most Cocoa books will have little about network/socket programming. Also, newer concepts like Core Data are not covered in any current books that I know of, but the Apple developer site has quite a few articles available, most of which you can search for and access directly from Xcode, as well as the Cocoa APIs (Cocoa networking classes would be in the "Foundation" API).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Oh, I forgot to mention Core Mac OS X and UNIX Programming (co-authored by Hillegass), which is a meaty tome of lower-level OS X programming, including some Cocoa but also BSD UNIX and sockets. This might be a tough book to start with, and it is not a good intro to Cocoa, but it has a lot of very useful information in it for the intermediate to advanced Mac coder.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
OK, one more Cocoa book I go to again and again is Cocoa Programming. This is more of a reference book for Cocoa than a tutorial but it's huge and comprehensive, with lots of nice code examples. The only problem is it hasn't been updated in years so much of the information is now out of date (and there is no discussion of any of the API introduced in the last few OS X versions). I believe it covers everything through 10.2. But, most of the core API is still the same and this book continues to be useful to me.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
There's also the Kochan book 'Programming in Objective-C' which is a good intro to the language itself. For beginners I'd recommend this and the Hillegass book. Both are excellent.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
caveman_uk said:
There's also the Kochan book 'Programming in Objective-C' which is a good intro to the language itself. For beginners I'd recommend this and the Hillegass book. Both are excellent.

I second that.

Skid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Brilliant, thank you all for the replies - that's exactly what I was after - I've started to see some other books in other threads now, so Santa is going to get a bit longer book list from me this year..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.