Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geddinwk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Hey everyone,

I have a 16 inch 2019 Macbook Pro and spilled an entire cup of black coffee with brown sugar on it. The two left usb-c connectors do not work and the keyboard keys stick even after cleaning. I turned it upside down and seeped the coffee out immediately with paper towels with it off, used a dehumidifier until I thought the computer was dry and turned it on.

I can't really do anything to it until the semester is over, seeing as everything else is functional and it has not had an obvious hardware issue because of the spill besides the usb-c connectors not working. Diagnostics did not detect any hardware malfunction. I do have a secure application that I do testing with and somehow that became the background of my login screen but after changing it back it has stayed my background wallpaper.

I noticed that the Touch ID is stiff just like the keyboard but functional. I've never worked on a macbook before but tear downs say it is connected directly to the logic board. Since the logic board works because I am typing this on the macbook, what is the likelyhood there is damage to the logic board? I'm fine with replacing the top cover of the laptop and the left usb-c connector, and possibly the left speaker/microphone array depending on what it looks like on open. I also saw an ultrasonic cleaner can remove the coffee if there is any from the logic board.

This happened a week ago today. I planned on keeping it a while since it was so expensive, and can't afford to replace it but can afford to repair it myself if necessary.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Do you have contents-insurance for the belongings in your house? If so, claim. And when the insurance company cannot provide you with the same model (because it is obsolete, i.e. it is no longer made) and instead give you a brand new M1 16" Pro, I can assure you that you will be thankful of the day you spilled the coffee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.