Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I recently ran across a project that I find to be somewhat nifty. "ColdMac"

Excerpt from the statement of purpose:

ColdMac is an old Apple computer that lives in my shed and tracks its own internal and external temperatures, and also hosts this webpage displaying that data.

The shed this Mac lives in is very cold. It is not insulated, the door has no seal, and there are two vents in the walls. So while there is a very limited amount of thermal protection, it's generally within 5 degrees or less of the actual outside temperature at night. During a sunny day, the shed can warm up much warmer than the outside temp.

This Mac is a 2009 iMac. It is loaded with internal thermal sensors. In addition to that, I use a USB thermometer to get ambient readings inside the shed. In total there are 7 values I picked as the most interesting. They get logged, displayed and graphed.

bp

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
That's pretty cool. No, really cool. No, not making puns. Wait, yes I am, but I intend both meanings.

I was hoping it was located somewhere in the sweep of Southern states that are seeing astonishingly cold weather right now, so I could see how that compared to the same date from prior years. Unfortunately, there isn't specific info on where this ColdMac is located. Instead, I had to infer it's in the Boston area, based on the owner's Twitter handle: MacFixerBoston.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.