Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
hey the well-known problem of the iPhone 7 in a few models (No service)

Apple won't fix my phone or recall it because the screen is cracked,

my screen was cracked for a while now and it didn't bother me at all and the phone worked perfectly

until the manufacturer defect appeared and my iPhone basically became an ipod.

Apple says they promise that if a device comes for repair they have to bring at back the same condition or better but not worst and therefore they wont fix it.

now in my eyes it doesn't matter to me,I can live with a broken screen, it's Apples fault my iPhone is now an iPod and they already took responsibility for the defect, costumer service won't help and I am planning of taking this case to the next level

would be much easier if I had a lot more cases like that

proving their cynical use to earn more money on the backs of people who their only fault was buying this certain model.

thank you in advance ,

I would like to point that I'm not from the USA but the phone was bought there so I sent it over to the USA (only took a month...) just for them to tell me they can't fix it because the screen is cracked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Honestly can't blame Apple.

If they open the phone and more is broken, they are responsible for fixing a phone which was damaged by the user not related to the original inquiry. Having said that, maybe you have to get the screen fixed first, then send the phone into Apple for the other repair.

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
I mean i bought an iphone and now I have an iPod due to defect in the model
it might sound weird to you but having a broken screen is my right and if the problem with the iPhone was something else that they have nothing to do with i wouldn't be mad for them asking me to fix the screen first.
they sold me a defect device for the same price as a non defective one, if apple is scared for ****ing up my device they should just give me a new one
IT IS THEIR FAULT TO DEAL WITH. that being said here they take advantage of people who have a minor problem on their device that doesn't effect them at all.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The phone is out of warranty plus you obviously dropped the phone which is known to cause damage not only to the screen but the logic board which has components soldered to the board. Impacts can cause the solder joints to crack and cause all sorts of problems. You damaged your phone and Apple isn't responsible for that. I think your going to learn you won't get much support from this forum for your situation. My suggestion is forget Apple and purchase a replacement screen or have a 3rd party replace the screen. I'm sure the phone still won't work properly even after the screen replacement. Good luck..

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
The phone is out of warranty plus you obviously dropped the phone which is known to cause damage not only to the screen but the logic board which has components soldered to the board. Impacts can cause the solder joints to crack and cause all sorts of problems. You damaged your phone and Apple isn't responsible for that. I think your going to learn you won't get much support from this forum for your situation. My suggestion is forget Apple and purchase a replacement screen or have a 3rd party replace the screen. I'm sure the phone still won't work properly even after the screen replacement. Good luck..
I understand what you say , on the same note this problem cant be caused by a phone dropped its a problem they know about and has nothing to do with the phone being dropped or whatever it literally has a message the distinguishes this problem from any other ones.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I don't know what you would expect Apple to do. They would run into all sorts of potential malicious damage claims if they attempted to work on a device with a broken screen. I realize this is disappointing if you believe your phone otherwise was defective, but you've effectively left them without an option for helping you.

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
I don't know what you would expect Apple to do. They would run into all sorts of potential malicious damage claims if they attempted to work on a device with a broken screen. I realize this is disappointing if you believe your phone otherwise was defective, but you've effectively left them without an option for helping you.
the point is it doesn't matter if the screen is cracked or not, because the problem is the model itself therefore it wouldn't make a difference.the fact is they messed up a certain model, and it doesn't matter if it been a year or 10 years if the phone is working but the only thing stopping it is that same defect in that model, apple should face it that they messed up and make it up for the person who may not be buying a new phone every year and actually takes good care of his phone so he doesn't have problems with it.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
They won’t fix the audio chip defected phone no matter what( assuming that is the problem) so the cracked screen doesn’t even matter. There are two people in my family that had mint condition 7+ phones that both developed this issue. If that is your issue you can still use the phone with a Bluetooth headset or ear buds.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Isn’t it out of warranty anyway?

Where is this well known „no service“ documented?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The no-service program states that a cracked screen must be resolved first. Did Support not offer to also fix that for an additional charge?

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
i can't say for sure because im not in the US but my mom went there and she told me they didn't offer her that, already in contact with apple about that and it's being under "investigation"
on the same note
I can still use my phone without that well known defect while I can with a broken screen, supousing people don't have 140 bucks to spend on repairing a minor screen crack, not to talk about a new phone.
that rule may apply to other condition , but a manafecturure defect? honestly either fix it or give me a new phone

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
i can't say for sure because im not in the US but my mom went there and she told me they didn't offer her that, already in contact with apple about that and it's being under "investigation"
on the same note
I can still use my phone without that well known defect while I can with a broken screen, supousing people don't have 140 bucks to spend on repairing a minor screen crack, not to talk about a new phone.
that rule may apply to other condition , but a manafecturure defect? honestly either fix it or give me a new phone
Apple makes it very clear the cracked screen has to be repaired before the defect can be repaired. It’s in black and white in the program link you posted. You knew this ahead of time. Having the money to get the cracked screen repaired is your responsibility. You seem to expect that Apple should make an exception because you can’t afford the screen repair.

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
Apple makes it very clear the cracked screen has to be repaired before the defect can be repaired. It’s in black and white in the program link you posted. You knew this ahead of time. Having the money to get the cracked screen repaired is your responsibility. You seem to expect that Apple should make an exception because you can’t afford the screen repair.
it might seem like it and it is understandable in my case my phone worked and then all of a sudden the no service defect happened and its totally okay by me the screen stays cracked i just want my phone with service.
i bought and iPhone and not an iPod touch

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
it might seem like it and it is understandable in my case my phone worked and then all of a sudden the no service defect happened and its totally okay by me the screen stays cracked i just want my phone with service.
Yup, I get what you want. To get the benefit under that program though, you need to comply with the rules. Let us know what the outcome is after Support gets back to you.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have a 7 that had a completely shattered screen- looked like a windsheild of a car that got in a head on accident- zillions of cracks.

Apple replaced the screen no problem (after paying for it) but they wouldn't fix the underlying Audio IC issue that prevents hearing anything during a phone call. Said it couldn't be fixed. (Because they don't do those kinds of micro soldering repairs).

There's a pending class action lawsuit on the iPhone 7 audio IC issue- plaintiffs insist it should be a factory recall, but it's being dragged through the courts for years - and by the time the case comes to some sort of settlement years from now, all the class members will likely get $15 a pop and the lawyers millions $

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
the point is it doesn't matter if the screen is cracked or not, because the problem is the model itself therefore it wouldn't make a difference.the fact is they messed up a certain model, and it doesn't matter if it been a year or 10 years if the phone is working but the only thing stopping it is that same defect in that model, apple should face it that they messed up and make it up for the person who may not be buying a new phone every year and actually takes good care of his phone so he doesn't have problems with it.

The "actually takes good care of his phone so he doesn't have problems with it" is difficult to reconcile with a cracked screen. Regardless, it isn't we who you have to convince. Good luck.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
on the same note
You can buy a screen for $30 and replace it by yourself

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

By no way I mean for offensive.

I have 3 different iPhone 7, they all worked fine without issue.

The iPhone 7 no service issue is well known at this point. You may call this is manufacturing defect, but this is arguable.

This problem typically happens after phone being dropped pretty hard. What happens is the baseband chip becomes loss, it could be few solider joints became loss. This is pretty easy fix, if you can find a reliable third party repair store. All they need to do is basically take out your baseband chip and solider it again. And in the same time, replace a new screen as well.

Apple typically won’t do this, because they don’t want be hold accountable for additional problems may arise.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
You can buy a screen for $30 and replace it by yourself

Replacing screen is lot hard than it sound. Depends on what you get, you might have to remove all the components from old screen, such as proximity censor, front camera, earpiece. You also have to remove TouchID units.

Lots of these components are very fragile, if you break any cables or connectors, you are looking at even more repairs. Especially if you destroy that touchID censor, nobody could help you, beside Apple.

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
By no way I mean for offensive.

I have 3 different iPhone 7, they all worked fine without issue.

The iPhone 7 no service issue is well known at this point. You may call this is manufacturing defect, but this is arguable.

This problem typically happens after phone being dropped pretty hard. What happens is the baseband chip becomes loss, it could be few solider joints became loss. This is pretty easy fix, if you can find a reliable third party repair store. All they need to do is basically take out your baseband chip and solider it again. And in the same time, replace a new screen as well.

Apple typically won’t do this, because they don’t want be hold accountable for additional problems may arise.
hey as long the message is not just no service and its "unable to connect to cellular network until its updated" i know it's the defect (it's a special message)

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
hey as long the message is not just no service and its "unable to connect to cellular network until its updated" i know it's the defect (it's a special message)

What do you need to update?

As far as I know, the No Service issue is common one, especially common with dropped phones.

You are best bet is send to reputable phone repair store and get this fixed. Like I said, this is more or less baseband problem.

There are just few causes of No Service issue. One is baseband chip, one is baseband processor (if this one ****ed, you have. I chance of ever getting cell service), sometime IF chip or its power rails are broken because of drop.

You could either stay here and arguing with Apple all day long or you can get this fixed rather quickly.

it is up to you

teasedubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
What do you need to update?

As far as I know, the No Service issue is common one, especially common with dropped phones.

You are best bet is send to reputable phone repair store and get this fixed. Like I said, this is more or less baseband problem.

There are just few causes of No Service issue. One is baseband chip, one is baseband processor (if this one ****ed, you have. I chance of ever getting cell service), sometime IF chip or its power rails are broken because of drop.

You could either stay here and arguing with Apple all day long or you can get this fixed rather quickly.

it is up to you
I wish I could as I stated , I'm in Israel and I sent my phone to the US for the fix,
about the no service problem - i added a link from the apple site about taking responsibility for it the error is a very specific one and not just because a part is damaged its because they messed up the model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.