Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I like this. Make it white plastic the same grade as Apple iPhone dock then I'm in.

c6hfyqmexasrlboakpmflQeZ.jpg

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
My only thought about this, would be, in practical terms it really wants to either have a large lump of metal in the base, or be attached to something.

At the moment, it's top heavy in use, and will just slide around / easy tip over as you are placing the watch onto it.

Could be annoying unless you stuck it, for example, onto your desk.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I like this. Make it white plastic the same grade as Apple iPhone dock then I'm in.

I like this one also. However I would love to see an adjustable angle so it could be used as a bedside alarm clock.

Ome thing is for sure we will see 'tons' of accessories by launch day.

ScreenShot2014-10-29at63441AM_zps398df410.jpg

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
My only thought about this, would be, in practical terms it really wants to either have a large lump of metal in the base, or be attached to something.

At the moment, it's top heavy in use, and will just slide around / easy tip over as you are placing the watch onto it.

Could be annoying unless you stuck it, for example, onto your desk.

Good observation. Yes, the base should weight a little more than the top + the watch. But hanging it feels more natural than sticking something to the back, or lay the watch flat like some charging design.
Whoever thought of this is genius. :p Why couldn't Apple think of this?

----------

Ome thing is for sure we will see 'tons' of accessories by launch day.

Exciting time for potential buyers. :p

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm waiting for someone to make the obvious :)

A little bulky, unless you can re-engineer the charging disc, but still Do-Able if you wanted to.

Have a band on your wrist, that held the charging disk like a watch, then wear the watch over the top of that. Like a double decker.

Then you can charge your watch at the same time as wearing it.

Albeit more bulky, but perhaps better than no watch.

You could have a battery pack in your pocket the watch gets charge from, so in theory you could do this on the move when you are away from power.

A silly idea perhaps, but it would work, and seems someone may make such a device for those on the move for long periods of time :)

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The only issue i can see there is that the magnetic charger covers the sensors on the watch so if you wore one like that the sensors couldnt be in contact with your skin so aside from the fact that the health stuff wouldnt be monitored it would probably stop Apple Pay from working as well.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
The only issue i can see there is that the magnetic charger covers the sensors on the watch so if you wore one like that the sensors couldnt be in contact with your skin so aside from the fact that the health stuff wouldnt be monitored it would probably stop Apple Pay from working as well.

... and then you could not pay for your burger or apple juice you just bought in your bed at 3am :rolleyes:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
... and then you could not pay for your burger or apple juice you just bought in your bed at 3am :rolleyes:

From the post i replied to the poster was saying about using a mobile charger in the wearers pocket to charge whilst on the move so the sensors being blocked would be an issue.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I like this too, but would like to see the changing stand provided with the edition watch first.

Interesting that Apple has chosen to keep that secret. Well a few people have seen it but no ones been able to photograph it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Interesting that Apple has chosen to keep that secret. Well a few people have seen it but no ones been able to photograph it.

There's also a charging stand for :apple:Watch? :eek: I think the accessory business will explode once the watch is out.

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I'm waiting for someone to make the obvious :) Have a band on your wrist, that held the charging disk like a watch, then wear the watch over the top of that. Like a double decker. You could have a battery pack in your pocket the watch gets charge from, so in theory you could do this on the move when you are away from power.

I would say if we need a device like this, Apple has dropped the ball on acceptable battery life.

I don't remember seeing the other end of the magnetic charger, but I'm guessing it will be USB like iPhones are? A night stand, while not necessary would be nice, and then the supplied charger would probably be connected to your computer for topping it off on days of very heavy use. If that's not enough to adequately power it, they've failed.

The charging stand doesn't come with the :apple:watch, a leather charging box comes with the edition models. If Apple doesn't sell these separately, expect third party vendors to copy it, changing it slightly enough to avoid patent infringement.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There's also a charging stand for :apple:Watch? :eek: I think the accessory business will explode once the watch is out.

http://sixcolors.com/2014/09/the-luxury-of-the-apple-watch-edition/

Here’s one sign just how luxe the Apple Watch Edition will be: When I was in Cupertino I got to handle the box that it will come in.

Yes, there’s a special box. It’s covered in leather. Inside is a magnetic charging cradle, and on the back of the box base is a slot into which you plug a Lightning connector. That’s right: The Apple Watch Edition is so fancy that the box is its own accessory.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-watch-update-more-details-and-hands-on-97091024129.html

The fanciest model, the gold Apple Phone Edition, comes in a gorgeous jewelry box — which doubles as a charger. The back of the box has a Lightning connector, and the inside of the box has the watch’s magnetic round charger pad, standing vertically. So as you retire each night, you can just lay your gold watch into its case and let it charge.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Something a little simpler would be great.

Not sure I want to shell out the money for a gold one and get a box for it - but something will be required no doubt.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC

I think that is strange too. I tried searching for a pic a while back and was surprised I couldn't find anything. You think Apple would want to get people excited about the high end watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think that is strange too. I tried searching for a pic a while back and was surprised I couldn't find anything. You think Apple would want to get people excited about the high end watch.

Could be Apple wants to show this when it announces the price of the Edition. It will help to justify to tech heads (watch & fashion heads expect/understand) the price. A super nice leather covered case that will be a high end design and finely crafted product on it's own.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Could be Apple wants to show this when it announces the price of the Edition. It will help to justify to tech heads (watch & fashion heads expect/understand) the price. A super nice leather covered case that will be a high end design and finely crafted product on it's own.

True and if the watch does end up costing $4,000, I think they'll need to make that justification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.