Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Hi all,

2018 15" MBP, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I have a 2014 32" Samsung TV as a monitor on my desk connected with a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter.

This setup have been working great for me, until the TV started having backlight problems and I need to replace it.

Went to a store and picked up the current year Samsung 32" TV (UN32N5300AFXZA) and got everything plugged in. But then I noticed that the green color is overexposed, like the standard Mac OS green (the green in the stock ticker app or the battery indicator) will look like fluorescent green.

However, if I reboot the MBP into Windows 10 boot camp, the color on the screen are perfectly fine (so that rules out that I have a bad screen or a bad connection).

I also tried to connect to the TV via HDMI from a Windows laptop with built-in HDMI port, the colors are perfectly fine too.

I tried using the Display Calibrator. But it only allows me to pick a different white point which is not what I am looking for.

I also tried different color profiles, the one that looks the "best" is the ROMM RGB: ISO 22028-2:2013 profile, however the green is still overexposed.

Tried resetting the PRAM and that didn't do anything either.

Anyone has any idea on how to fix this?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hi all,

2018 15" MBP, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I have a 2014 32" Samsung TV as a monitor on my desk connected with a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter.

This setup have been working great for me, until the TV started having backlight problems and I need to replace it.

Went to a store and picked up the current year Samsung 32" TV (UN32N5300AFXZA) and got everything plugged in. But then I noticed that the green color is overexposed, like the standard Mac OS green (the green in the stock ticker app or the battery indicator) will look like fluorescent green.

However, if I reboot the MBP into Windows 10 boot camp, the color on the screen are perfectly fine (so that rules out that I have a bad screen or a bad connection).

I also tried to connect to the TV via HDMI from a Windows laptop with built-in HDMI port, the colors are perfectly fine too.

I tried using the Display Calibrator. But it only allows me to pick a different white point which is not what I am looking for.

I also tried different color profiles, the one that looks the "best" is the ROMM RGB: ISO 22028-2:2013 profile, however the green is still overexposed.

Tried resetting the PRAM and that didn't do anything either.

Anyone has any idea on how to fix this?

By default that display will use a predefined profile or Rec 709 profile that is suitable for HD movies but not for computer use.

In Displays pref calibrate a new profile to 2.2 gamma, 6500K.

Windows looks more ‘normal’ because Windows Device Manager sees the display as a ‘Generic Plug and Play Monitor’ and doesn’t apply any profile. If it does apply a profile it will be sRGB which isn’t very good.

Your display should also have a PC mode and you have to enable HDR on each HDMI input if it is a 4K HDR model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.