Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
I always go for the white iPhone Pros simply because whenever the steel takes a scratch I can sand it down and polish it.

This does not work for any of the colored phones as the color is plated. That is why you also often notice “chipping” on any colored version.

Does anyone know if this will be the case for the titanium models?
I’d love to get the blue, but not if it means I can’t get buff out scratches anymore.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The blue coloring is a PVD coating so no, you can’t buff scratches out of it. I’m going to risk it. I can see from some videos that it already looks like crap when fingerprints get on it. Eh, whatever. Mine is going in a case a lot of the time. And at home I will wipe it off with cloths I keep around to wipe the camera lenses.

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
The blue coloring is a PVD coating so no, you can’t buff scratches out of it. I’m going to risk it. I can see from some videos that it already looks like crap when fingerprints get on it. Eh, whatever. Mine is going in a case a lot of the time. And at home I will wipe it off with cloths I keep around to wipe the camera lenses.
What is a PVD coating?
i hate cases and still drop it sometimes, so I guess I will be going with silver again.

I wonder how durable the titanium is? I assume a drop on its corner from body height will be enough force to cause denting and scratches, even with the new material

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
It’s a good question
I think the blue and black ones have a pvd coating, which obviously means you can’t polish scratches out
The natural and white I don’t know…..is the natural colour the actual colour of the titanium , or is the white coloured one the normal “silver” metal colour and so polishable?
I’m guessing the latter is most likely. Or it could be that even the natural and silver colours have a clear coat on the brushed finish, to give a bit more lustre

Reactions: bsmr

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
The natural and white I don’t know…..is the natural colour the actual colour of the titanium , or is the white coloured one the normal “silver” metal colour and so polishable?
Good points.

Actually I like the black one. But natural seems nice, if I can polish or get some dents out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.