Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Everytime my mac returns from sleep, the color profiles are screwed up - they are either super dark and contrasty or bland and low contrasty.

I can get back the right color profile by manually picking it from the Displays->Color menu.

Seems like a Catalina issue? Also it seemed to happen right after I installed the 10.15.2 Beta4... so there's that. Did they perhaps break something as part of fixing something?

(I am running the 16" MBP. but I dont think that matters here, but just in case)

Reactions: Dmitry S Khmel

Irish1996

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2019
I have had this happen intermittently since I got my MacBook Pro 16 inch 2 weeks ago. I have it hooked up to the LG Ultrafine 4k (original 20 inch model) and a Thunderbolt 2 Lacie 2big. I have talked with Apple Support for this issue on two occasions, and they just did the standard PRAM and SMC steps. After doing these steps, it seems to be ok for a few days then it comes back. I cannot replicate or find any pattern as to when it happens (though it seemed to be more at night). Apple Support said next step would be to re-install the OS, which I do not want to do right now. It's an annoying problem, and I fix by going to settings and selecting turning automatic brightness off then on. I hope they find a resolution that doesn't involve wiping the machine and starting over again. Also, Apple Support said they have heard about it before...so fortunately we are not alone.

valmont74

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I have not hooked it up to any external monitors, I get this problem when the 16 inch turns off the screen after the 15 minutes as set in the energy settings. If I turn it off using the active corners it goes on as it’s supposed to when I wake it up. Also, when I encounter the problem I can move into the active corner - turn it off and then turn it on - and everything is ok again.

I‘ve not made any PRAM and SMC steps. I thought it was a software issue in Catalina. I hope I don’t have a faulty MBP....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmitry S Khmel

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
The high brightness and external monitor issues I'm trying to lodge open cases with Apple. Although it is on the support forums (Catalina High Brightness internal display) there is no actual Apple case open for this to fix. I'm waiting apple engineering call to discuss. Would be great if you could add your details to the Apple forum that I linked to so it is all in one place. I've only another 3 issues with external monitors post this one and so far its consumed 2 hrs to try and get this one case recognised.

Dmitry S Khmel

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
Everytime my mac returns from sleep, the color profiles are screwed up - they are either super dark and contrasty or bland and low contrasty.

I can get back the right color profile by manually picking it from the Displays->Color menu.

Seems like a Catalina issue? Also it seemed to happen right after I installed the 10.15.2 Beta4... so there's that. Did they perhaps break something as part of fixing something?

(I am running the 16" MBP. but I dont think that matters here, but just in case)
[automerge]1588003254[/automerge]
I do this too
And cry cry cry

Wiejeben

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
The Hague, the Netherlands
I used to have the same issue with my 2013 MacBook Air, now as well with my 2019 MacBook Pro 16. Never knew that it had to do with a bugged color profile... Just glad it isn't a hardware issue?

petejkim

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
I wrote an app that fixes this issue by switching color profile automatically on wake. You can download it here and also view the source code if you are curious. Let me know if this fix works for you as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.