Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I've looked but couldn't find a discussion about labels and tags. So, I don't know where else to post this question and I don't even know if my question belongs here. If it doesn't, feel free to relocate it. Would anyone happen to know if there is or if there will EVER be any other color for labeling or tagging documents and folders besides the 7 boring colors that are available now? Image below. Thank you so much!

-Ella

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 5.09.11 PM.png

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Boring? That's most of the colors of the rainbow ?

Seriously, though, I have a feeling that's not very high on the priority list of most users, let alone Apple. But there seems to be a niche for even the most minor details, so maybe someone knows of an app out there that allows users to customize these colors.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Boring? That's most of the colors of the rainbow ?

Seriously, though, I have a feeling that's not very high on the priority list of most users, let alone Apple. But there seems to be a niche for even the most minor details, so maybe someone knows of an app out there that allows users to customize these colors.
Yes, BORING! I have 100s and 100s of documents and files on my computer. I've used all the colors of the so-called rainbow. I would like the color wheel that the old mac systems had eons ago. Thanx for your post.

Last edited:

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Probably not.
Labels were introduced way back in System 6 in 1988. Since Apple made both the Finder and the file system, it reserved a place in the file system metadata for what it called “Finder Info.” This structure contained information useful to the Finder (usually packed into bit fields—hey, it was 1988), including three bits for the Label color.

[…]

These implementation details may seem esoteric and inconsequential, but some of them do affect the user experience in significant ways. Sticking with the same seven integer colors from the legacy Labels system affords Tags backward compatibility, but it also explains why Tags have only seven possible colors and why those colors can’t be changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.