Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
My Ti laptop is driving me crazy. I've got the Finder prefs set to open all windows in column view and yet, every fourth or fifth time I double click on the drive icon on the desktop, the window opens up in icon view. I switch it back to column view and it's fine for a while and then, poof!, it's back in icon view when I double-click the drive icon again.

I use Macaroni to regularly repair permissions and I've experienced no other strangeness, just this.

Any idea what's going on? :confused:

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
I agree, it's very annoying, and seems to be one of the Finder's long-standing bugs. I use column view exclusively and still get annoyed when new windows open in another view, such as when viewing an app's package contents.

You might want to try opening a new Finder window and setting it how you like, then closing it and opening another. This has sometimes worked for me in the past.

One way I found to not so much get around the problem but get new windows opening how I like is by using scripts. Here's one I amended from an article originally on MacOSXHints.com way back in 2001. It opens two finder windows, one above thew other in column view, and is designed for a 1024 x 768 resolution screen. It's pretty easy to follow so you should be able to tinker with it to get it exactly how you want it (and remember to change the 'set target...' lines to reflect your user account and what you want the Finder to display).

tell application "Finder"

activate
close every window

-- Bottom Window
set this_window to make new Finder window
-- display external firwire hard disk if mounted
if disk "X Files" exists then
set target of this_window to "X Files:Archive"
else
set target of this_window to "HD:Applications"
end if
set bounds of this_window to {86, 364, 818, 762}
set current view of this_window to column view

-- Top Window
set this_window to make new Finder window
set target of this_window to "HD:Users:db"
set bounds of this_window to {86, 97, 818, 279}
set current view of this_window to column view

end tell

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I agree it is a pain in the ass. I hated Column View when I first used it, but now I hate it when Finder decides to open a folder in any other view anything else. I have had the experience less since I updated to 10.3.8.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
If your pref is set to column view but it opens in icon view (which is a bug), don't use the buttons in the finder window itself to switch views (they will switch views but they don't make the view stick). Use the View menu item As Columns (Cmd 3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.