Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Just did a drive sweep using OmniDiskSweeper and caught a cache folder named com.apple.bird taking up 23.8GB of my tiny 128GB flash hard drive.

Does anyone know what this cache folder is used for?
Can I delete it in OmniDiskSweeper without damaging anything?

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
com.apple.bird
That file is a cache file produced by the bird process.
Bird (and cloudd) and the major processes that are used with the iCloud service.

I think your bird file is likely supposed to reset to defaults from time to time, and for some reason is not doing that.
You could turn your iCloud OFF.
Check in your Activity Monitor, and force quit both cloudd and bird processes.
That may automatically remove that big file that you found. 23 GB might possibly take several minutes to be removed. Or, you can delete it manually at that point.
You can turn iCloud back on, after removing that big file. That might be a good fix, and the enormous file might not return, although that file will come back, it may be working properly from now on - maybe.
My suggestion - something may not be quite right with your system. A good step would be to boot to Yosemite Recovery system (restart holding Command-R), and run Reinstall OS X. You won't lose your own apps, docs, or settings, but OS X will do a full reinstall, and will likely clean up your system settings that you don't really have direct control over (like how often the iCloud cache files are reset.)

I have downloaded the Yosemite installer, and made a bootable flash drive with only the Yosemite installler. It's easy to do with an app called DiskmakerX, or there's easy instructions that you can find to help with that. When you have that USB installer, it's a much quicker reinstall - you don't have to wait for the installer files to download.

Melia1661

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2018
I just turned off brad, and now its taking up even more space that ever!!! HELP!

Liebly

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2016
I just discovered this file on my iMac, and it's over 11 gigs. It says it's located in
iCloud-->Pictures, but when I went the folder it said it was in, there were 2 stupid pictures in there! I deleted the folder, and nothing changed. I have never heard of this BIRD, but given the last two days, I do not like it. IS it able to be deleted? I'm leery. To whoever runs this board, thank you, because I thoroughly enjoy reading your newsletter.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.