Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There is no section for Web stuff, so i guess i'll have to ask here.
I cannot understand what help it is, so that there are many website logos that contain the .com (like for example www.plants.com).
Note that Im referring to logotypes, pictures, that cannot be used by Google for gaining popularity or visibility (or what ever that is called).

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
It doesn’t relate to google rankings. If you look at the bottom of the site, plants.com is their full company name.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok its their full company name, but way make a name like that, why relate it with the website, what might it serve?

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
I agree with @hg.wells.

Another reason for a company name, that is equal to a domain name would be, if the solely or at least the main sales channel will be the internet.

In those cases, a brand that includes the domain, won´t need an extra mentioning of a web page address. That makes marketing the website and the brand much more simple, thus cost efficient. It also serves the purpose of much easier brand recognition in the sense that the point of purchase gets communicated more frequently to the customers and therefore should be memorable faster.

This makes sense for almost every online shop or commercially oriented online platform.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
One issue that the .com creates when it’s added in the logo name, is that the website logo becomes less contemporary and isn’t very stylish. Is there a logo with .com that doesn’t work negatively in its design?

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
One issue that the .com creates when it’s added in the logo name, is that the website logo becomes less contemporary and isn’t very stylish. Is there a logo with .com that doesn’t work negatively in its design?
That's your opinion, and it's not shared by... well, the vast majority of the non-graphic designer world.

Reactions: hg.wells

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I think that having ".com" or any other web extension in the company/store/etc name is not a good idea because there are more and more other tld that are becoming more popular and many people are not actually typing out whole web addresses or even typing at all (hey siri). But if you have a very generic name like plants or books or pets, paper etc etc it can be good so that people can find you specifically and don't end up at someone with the same name but a different tld (like org, tv, us etc).

I would also say that in general having .com in a logo makes it a little more clunky or awkward looking but that of course really depends on the quality of the design(er).

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I would also say that in general having .com in a logo makes it a little more clunky or awkward looking but that of course really depends on the quality of the design(er).
I agree but to be honest, based from what I have seen so far, it seems that there are not many good designers that have done such logos. 🙁

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I agree but to be honest, based from what I have seen so far, it seems that there are not many good designers that have done such logos. 🙁
To be honest I think for many small to midsize businesses, in the USA, the design of logo and/or website and company color scheme etc etc is still very underestimated and I still hear to many times that someone is having their kid/grandkid make their site "because kids these days are so smart" and do not take having good design and web accessibility seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.