Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ms.Tessie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
Dear Community,
I usually enjoy researching things myself, and I've done enough to know I can create a slide show in the new Photos. (I'm just up to Catalina on my laptop and HIgh Sierra on my iMac to be able to use some legacy software.)

What I'd like is a continuous loop that combines slideshow images with movie files. Am I better off making the slideshow in Powerpoint, adding a movie that plays on certain slides, and then trying to export that to run continuously? I've got some archival video shot by my grandfather back in the day that I had digitized and set to music, as an example.

I'm not familiar enough with the Catalina iMovie or Photos to know if these two things can be combined in the Apple Word---is that what Keynote is for? If so, I'd have to learn Keynote tonight and finish this in time for my dear Mom's funeral on Tuesday morning, and I'm already a bit sleep deprived and need to do a reading at the funeral mass, so I can't approach this like an all nighter from long-gone college days because lack of sleep just makes me even more likely to fall apart. So many things have gone wrong with her death certificate, the prepaid funeral home plan, her cremation urn (nobody seems able to do their jobs with accuracy these days, sigh) that I find myself under the gun with this outstanding item.

I'd just run the loop on an iMac on a table at the luncheon reception that will also feature some framed photos and memorial cards. If this is too complicated, I could also print out a one or two page mini photo album of choice photos of my Mom as a folded booklet as a takeaway along with memorial cards. Maybe that's better as another keepsake, and I just need to allot time for a printer to run it off Monday.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Sorry for your loss. Personally, I would just stick with Photos to do the slideshow. Put all the photos and videos into an album and run the slideshow from there. It'll go through everything in a continuous loop. Or if you have a little bit of time, you can create a slideshow project in Photos to customize it a little further...have them display in a certain order, certain duration, add text, add music, etc.

Ms.Tessie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
Sorry for your loss. Personally, I would just stick with Photos to do the slideshow. Put all the photos and videos into an album and run the slideshow from there. It'll go through everything in a continuous loop. Or if you have a little bit of time, you can create a slideshow project in Photos to customize it a little further...have them display in a certain order, certain duration, add text, add music, etc.

Many belated thanks for your kind and helpful reply, iStorm! You certainly had the right idea, but I ran out of time to do the slideshow because I spent too much time trying to first find and then scan some vintage childhood photos of my Mom. Then I ran into issues combining those new scans and existing scans from an older iMac using an older Mac OS (needed to run the very helpful scanning software of an older but very nice Epson photo scanner) with all the existing images in Photo on my MacBook air because I couldn't get Air Drop to work for me. I thought about using a Flash Drive to get the images where they needed to be, but I knew I'd fuss quite a bit over the slideshow image order and music, so in the time I had left, I created a booklet with a smaller number of meaningful photos that was something tangible to give people as a keepsake. The morning of the 11 a.m. funeral, I got that printed out at Staples last minute. The slideshow will be created and shared with family later this spring (and I'll probably learn that it wouldn't have taken me that long to pull it together).

Reactions: ColdCase
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.