Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Is there a way to get VLC on macOS to combine multiple mp4 videos into a single mp4 file? There are lots of posts, YouTube videos, etc. that show how to do this. BUT they all use a menu item File>Open multiple files, that is not in the current version of VLC for macOS.

If not with VLC are there other options to combine multiple mp4s into a single mp4 file?

FWIW:
I know Quicktime Player will combine multiple mp4 files using Edit>Add clip to the end… BUT the resulting mov file is huge compared to the input mp4 files. And VLC will convert the huge mov video back to mp4, shrinking it to only slightly larger than the input mp4s. But thats a lot of processing.

GetRealBro

Reactions: macribas

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there a way to get VLC on macOS to combine multiple mp4 videos into a single mp4 file? There are lots of posts, YouTube videos, etc. that show how to do this. BUT they all use a menu item File>Open multiple files, that is not in the current version of VLC for macOS.

If not with VLC are there other options to combine multiple mp4s into a single mp4 file?

FWIW:
I know Quicktime Player will combine multiple mp4 files using Edit>Add clip to the end… BUT the resulting mov file is huge compared to the input mp4 files. And VLC will convert the huge mov video back to mp4, shrinking it to only slightly larger than the input mp4s. But thats a lot of processing.

GetRealBro
I use the (free) app Lossless Cut for this. It’s really just a graphic front end for ffmpeg but it does the job just fine.

Reactions: Ergolad

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks.

I already use Lossless Cut to view stream files (.ts) and clip out interesting bits. But I hadn’t explored Lossless Cut very well or I would have seen the obvious Tools>Merge Files menu item.

Thanks again — GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.