Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's only small, but I made an iOS 7-esque Geektool time for my Desktop on my Mac. It was all going great, until I realised that the time Apple used isn't just in Helvetica Neue; they uses some other font (Avenir Next is my guess) for the separating colon:

D3C166DE-679D-4694-8454-A564DDBAB836-6695-00000267B1B4C448_zps9ebc26d2.jpg

To solve this, I had the time in Helvetica N and the colon separately. But of course, as the time transitions to double digits, the colon is out of place.

So is there either a) a way to combine two fonts in one Geektool shell, or b) a way to combine the letter/number elements of Helvetica Neue with the punctuation of Avenir Next in one typeface?

I'm at a loss of where to start here. Any help would be very much appreciated :)

yetiboy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
The only suggestion I can think of is to have the hours right justified and minutes left justified (ie. 2 separate scripts). At least that would keep the numbers and colon aligned. Unfortunately, it will screw up the centering on your date though. Realistically though, I think you need to find a font that will allow you to have both numbers and colon at the same time so that this isn't an issue.

yeti

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.