Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
As we all know, the next step down from a superdrive is a combo drive, which only the ibooks have. My question is, how come Apple does not ship the combo drive with other new products like the new imacs or even the low-end g4? I'm guessing that when the Tibook is revised it will have a combodrive. But I dont understand why at least the new SE imac doesnt have a combo drive.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by rekras
As we all know, the next step down from a superdrive is a combo drive, which only the ibooks have. My question is, how come Apple does not ship the combo drive with other new products like the new imacs or even the low-end g4? I'm guessing that when the Tibook is revised it will have a combodrive. But I dont understand why at least the new SE imac doesnt have a combo drive.

Actually, it's a BTO option as of right now...

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
what a waste to watch dvds on your computer

Actually, not at all. I've appreciated having a DVD player on my Pismo because it gives me a portable DVD player. While lots of users have used this feature to, say, watch movies while on planes, I got a chance to use it in college to watch movies with large groups of people at the first available large-screen TV. Two cables and you can watch DVDs on the bigscreen -- even in Dolby Pro Logic!

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
sad

"Actually, not at all. I've appreciated having a DVD player on my Pismo because it gives me a portable DVD player. While lots of users have used this feature to, say, watch movies while on planes, I got a chance to use it in college to watch movies with large groups of people at the first available large-screen TV. Two cables and you can watch DVDs on the bigscreen -- even in Dolby Pro Logic!"
- originally posted by John123

ummmm, John123.....tell me something...this is how you spent your time in Harvard? lol! Did you not say that you are part of the Harvad Club...sooo uhhh like...im sure they have dvd technology and were not dependant on YOUR laptop. lol!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: sad

Originally posted by Kela

"Actually, not at all. I've appreciated having a DVD player on my Pismo because it gives me a portable DVD player. While lots of users have used this feature to, say, watch movies while on planes, I got a chance to use it in college to watch movies with large groups of people at the first available large-screen TV. Two cables and you can watch DVDs on the bigscreen -- even in Dolby Pro Logic!"
- originally posted by John123

ummmm, John123.....tell me something...this is how you spent your time in Harvard? lol! Did you not say that you are part of the Harvad Club...sooo uhhh like...im sure they have dvd technology and were not dependant on YOUR laptop. lol!

Um, I already said I went to another Ivy and not Harvard (thank god). Anyway, no, there weren't DVD players in the lounges when I went to school. I doubt they have them in Cambridge lounges, either.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I didnt bother

I just got a Quicksilver and I BTO with just a CD-RW. Didnt have the need for the DVD-R right now and DVD on my desk was not that usfull to me. I might have oped for a combo drive in a protable ... maybe my next machine.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Combos

The iBook has a combo drive because It's 1.3" thin and has a descent profit margin at the !799 price point.

The iMac was supposed to get one along with a LCD, guess Apple's holding back for a "bigger-bang"

The TiTanium laptop will get a Combo drive as soon as one that's cheep enough for Apple's standards and is 0.8"

PowerMacs have DVD drives because Apple thought people wanted the emerging DVD standard more than the new CD-RW concept (think about the era of Yosemite). Apple was wrong, but If they're comming to the party late, they'd better have a big gift right? (Superdrive)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.