Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Since I read many posts on problems with the invidiual updates through OS's software update featrue, I would like to post this question. If you update the OS X (10.3.X) through one update increment (like, from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8) and then do a combo update by visiting Apple's website, does the combo update over-write the previous updates which were done one update at a time?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
YS2003 said:
Since I read many posts on problems with the invidiual updates through OS's software update featrue, I would like to post this question. If you update the OS X (10.3.X) through one update increment (like, from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8) and then do a combo update by visiting Apple's website, does the combo update over-write the previous updates which were done one update at a time?
Updates replace changed files. Softare Update merely automates what you would do when you manually download updates. IMHO, the reports that you heard about updates originate between the keyboard and chair.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
MisterMe said:
Updates replace changed files. Softare Update merely automates what you would do when you manually download updates. IMHO, the reports that you heard about updates originate between the keyboard and chair.
Actually, the issues aren;t of the PEBKAC variety. Ever since Apple started with patch updates through Software Update I've had issues occur that were fixed by applying the full point update (not the combo update). Pretty much every issue that has been fixed by installing the combo update (that I know of) has been where the system in question had one ofr more point patch updates installed by software update instead of the full point update.

Ever since that became a common occurance, I only install the full point updates and haven't had any of the funky issues that people seem to have that are apparently caused by the smaller patch updates.

I think Apple could save some money by not bothering with the patch updates so they have less software to test and have less customer issues. In theory having the three types of updates (patch, point and combo) gives them too many combinations to test. Since apparently depending on which updates were patch and which were point changes the outcome of how the system works.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I always use software update. I just repair permissions before hand. Never any problems here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.